Solved

Is the reservation fee paid per seat or per group?

• 6 March 2022
  • 7 replies

Is the reservation fee paid per seat or per group? For example, if I were to book a 4-berth couchette, is the price shown per berth or is it for all 4 berths?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 6 March 2022, 10:08

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Normally reservations are per person. For night trains, however, it currently depends. Some operators do not yet sell single couchettes and only sells the complete compartment.

So for which train exactly is this?

I was looking at the night train travelling from Venice to Rome.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As for NOW in IT ALL sleeper/cuccette are only for a ´closed group´ and there seems to be a set price, be it for 1-2-3-4 inside. It is indeed around 4x the normal pp. price. But as many people tend to ask for monthes ahead-noone now knows how it will be in summer. CC usually in west-EUR cost around 20-25€ extra for 1 p/night-if you are young and on budget: a tipical hoStelbed, essentially the same, but with many more benefits, often cost a € or 2 less.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Italian couchettes are currently only sold per compartment so I'd wait for a bit to see if that changes (many COVID rules are being relaxed now).

In addition, there currently seems to be a problem though if you try to book couchettes for multiple people through the Eurail/Interrail reservation service:

We're waiting for feedback. If you'd like to book for multiple people and your journey is more than a few weeks ahead, I'd also wait to see if and how this will be fixed.

Thank you all for your responses. We're travelling as a family of 4.  The trade-off was to sit for over 4hrs on first class seats or lie comfortably for 7 hrs in sleeping bunks. But if we have to pay $41 per person for each bunk, it seemed pretty unreasonable.  But like you said, the $41 price is for the entire sleeper so that makes decision making easier.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

41 USD will not be the price for the entire compartment. I'll check later today what the status is with the Italian night trains.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you all for your responses. We're travelling as a family of 4.  The trade-off was to sit for over 4hrs on first class seats or lie comfortably for 7 hrs in sleeping bunks. But if we have to pay $41 per person for each bunk, it seemed pretty unreasonable.  But like you said, the $41 price is for the entire sleeper so that makes decision making easier.

I can't reproduce a 41 USD price (although that does sound like the price for one person). I only see a 97 EUR (110 USD) price for one person occupying a 4-person compartment, which incorrectly multiplies by 4 if I try to book 4 persons, which is the bug I mentioned before.

1. On which website are you looking?
  2. On which date is this? 
  3. Do you have 1st or 2nd class passes?