Solved

Is this correct or am I booking too early?

• 23 December 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’m trying to reserve a seat on the following and the message I’m getting is “The train is already fully booked or has been cancelled due to engineering work.” Given I’ve come across messages before saying trains are full, when it really means I’m booking too far in advance, and other times when trains I’ve tried to book are actually full, I don’t know how to interpret this message. Is there any way of knowing?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 23 December 2023, 23:00

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No, you are too early for this one, don't worry. I believe we've already answered that question.

Those generic messages are not always true I'm afraid.

Regular tickets should already be available on SNCF website while Eurail enforces a strict 3 months policy on their website (for no real reason). Either you wait until mid-February and book through Eurail or call SNCF to book.

This train won't sell out that far in advance but if you want call them for peace of mind. :)

The Bernina Express was an exceptional case due to tour groups booking the entire (already small) train...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

SNCF hasn't opened bookings yet for that date.

When bookings are open, you can book pass reservations on raileurope.com. 1st class pass reservations are €39.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Looks like this one is now able to be booked but I just want to make sure I have it right. I’ve purchased 2 x 1st class Eurail passes but it looks like we still need to pay another 58EUD to reserve a seat on this 2 hour 25 minute trip. Does that look right?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Actually, it looks like I need to pay another 78EUD to maintain the flexibility I thought was covered by the Eurail pass. Just checking

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

That’s because it’s a TGV Lyria, which has ridiculously expensive reservation fees.

I’m also a bit confused with the two different prices when you selected a 1st class pass. Lemme check, I’ll come back to you in a moment.

Cheap Alternatives:

Best avoid this train, take ordinary IC’s to Basel, switch in Basel for a TER to Mulhouse, from which you can take a TGV to Dijon for an acceptable reservation fee

Would look something like this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Ah yes, the Rail Europe websites gives the price of the two classes. 58 is second class, 78 EUR is indeed the correct option for 1st class seat reservations for that route. (€39 eur each)

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks for the updates. Yes, I’ve been through the alternate routes before, but it just seemed a little higher than expected for a short(ish) ride and wanted to make sure I was in the right place.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for the updates. Yes, I’ve been through the alternate routes before, but it just seemed a little higher than expected for a short(ish) ride and wanted to make sure I was in the right place.

SNCF see international passengers and pass holders as cash cows, so that's why their international pass reservations are often so expensive.