Solved

It's that reservation date really matter? Or can I board the next train?

• 11 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Hello All,

I made a mistake when I booked my reservations. Somehow, I did check the reservation date that I am booking. It turns out I booked my return trip and depart trip on the same day. And the worst part is, it does not seem I could make any changes to the website.

Could I board the train on next day? Or should I rebook it (Is that possible to get any refund)?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 11 April 2023, 22:51

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

A reservation is only valid for the train mentioned on it. You can't just board another train. In Paris, chances are you won't even be able to get near the train.

Both those reservations should be refundable.

By the way, you can save a lot of money if you go to Zurich this way:

The TGV Paris-Strasbourg will then be max. €20 instead of €68 for Paris-Zurich (there are more trains Basel-Zurich after 21:43).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As advised the cross-border TGV Lyria has an insane 70€ fee for 1st class passengers. It's often more than an advance ticket !

Do not pay it (aka get it refunded) and either take the same TGV to Mulhouse or another one between Paris-Est and Strasbourg and then a TER regional train across the border. It'll save you 50-60€ each way ! It doesn't take much longer, max 30 min more.

rvdborgt suggested the route via Mulhouse (20€) and here is the option via Strasbourg (on Saturday 15th April) :

- TGV Paris-Est - Strasbourg 17:25 - 19:11 20€

- TER Strasbourg - Basel SBB 19:51 - 21:08

- IR Basel SBB - Zürich HB

OR

- TGV Paris-Est - Strasbourg 18:55 - 20:41 20€

- TER Strasbourg - Basel SBB 21:21 - 22:38

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As advised it's much better to take a TGV to the border only, it costs max 20€ ! Following options in the evening (Mulhouse has been suggested)

- TGV Paris-Est - Strasbourg 17:25 - 19:11

or

- TGV Paris-Est - Strasbourg 18:55 - 20:46

- TER Strasbourg - Basel SBB 21:21 - 22:38

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As advised it's much better to take a TGV to the border only, it costs max 20€ ! Following options in the evening (Mulhouse has already been suggested)

- TGV Paris-Est - Strasbourg 17:25 - 19:11

- IC/IR Basel SBB - Olten - Zürich HB 21:28 - 22:52 (longer than usual engineering works again)

Or TGV from Paris-Est at 18:55, arriving in Zurich at midnight.

On 15th April due to engineering works the 18:19 TGV sits at Basel SBB for 35 min so you can actually take the TGV to Mulhouse, then the TER across the border and in the end board again the first train = saving you 50€