Solved

Italy night train reservation 2 people same cabin?

• 10 August 2022
  • 8 replies

Hi

Me and my friend want to take the night train between Rome and Cefalu August 12th. We want to sleep in the same cabin. Do anyone know how and where you can book a seat reservation and make sure you are next to one another/in the same cabin. Every time we have booked our tickets until now we have ended up not sitting next to one another. 

Thanks in advance 

icon

Best answer by Angelo 11 August 2022, 09:29

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Angelo 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Try the Austrian Railways site oebb.at. In the search there are 2 choices for interrail tickets -  you can search just for a seat or in the search open the passenger tool and add a discount code, Scroll down to the bottom of the short drop down list and find the more tab (May need a page scroll to show it). Interrail/Eurail is near the bottom of the long list. Confirm to choose it and then search for single fares.

If you add another passenger and choose discount as well it will seat you together.

One point is (I think) Italian night trains only offer double cabins to first class passengers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

A quick check on both oebb and trenitalia show it is fully booked.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Yorkie via ÖBB online it is not possible to reserve Trenitalia ICN nighttrains. Please keep it in mind.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

From other posting somewhere I learnt that the surcharge for passes for real sleepers on ICN is so high (well over 50€ each) that if often is better to simply book normal included tickets.

But again: as /en/ is so unclear and hence the brits do not know the diff between real sleeper (letti) and couchette/cuccette (4 beds in IT-mixed sex-this means together but not normally in busy times private) this may also play havock. But as its full anyway-too late.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Yorkie via ÖBB online it is not possible to reserve Trenitalia ICN nighttrains. Please keep it in mind.

Thanks for the correction.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

From other posting somewhere I learnt that the surcharge for passes for real sleepers on ICN is so high (well over 50€ each) that if often is better to simply book normal included tickets.

But again: as /en/ is so unclear and hence the brits do not know the diff between real sleeper (letti) and couchette/cuccette (4 beds in IT-mixed sex-this means together but not normally in busy times private) this may also play havock. But as its full anyway-too late.

Please refrain from suggesting we Brits know nothing. 

I, for one, am fully aware of the differences on night trains between seats, couchettes, economy or comfort cabins and the few luxury cabins and their pricing structures.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It's too late now but for future travellers: Italian night trains can be booked at many ticket offices, by phone via Belgian railways (delivery via email) and online via Italiarail.