Solved

Journey from Tallinn to Riga does not show up in the Rail Planner App. How to add it to my ticket?

• 4 February 2022
  • 3 replies

So I want to get from Tallinn to Riga, and I read that first one has to take a train from Tallinn to Valga at the Estonian border and then a train from Valga to Riga. However none of these train stations show up in the rail planner app. I have the Interrail mobile pass so I need to add eagh journey to my ticket in the app, right? 

icon

Best answer by seewulf 4 February 2022, 17:26

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

IF you have a pass with a nr of passdays-be sensible, forget the train, use a direct bus: much quicker and cheaper too. Unless you have a love relation with those iron monsters on steel roads.

The 3 small baltic countries have only entered this Railpassscheme since 2 yrs or so. They have to get used to all the other requirements that those westerners take for granted. Besides that: the app and railplanner of the passes is about one of the worst there is and not enough updated.

There are other railplanners that usually wokr better, f.e. that of german rails bahn.de. But check yourself if it has this precious info. The very best is, no need to even ask, the one of the railways over there, just google and find. The station at the border where 1/day you have a reasonable connection is called Valga. In fact from Lietuvo=LT=Lithuania to LV=Latvia there is not even a reasonable connection for now.

The rails over there were bult in the times of hammer and sickle and thus were aimed to go to the capital of the world in those days/minds: Mockba, or Moscow for you. The rest was just minor sidelines. You will still note that its mostly the Russky who run these iron monsters.

To compensate very quickly when possible all kinds of express buses (called coach in english) were started. There are enough sites like omio or others that can give you directions for these. FLIX is not yet much present. Hansa buss is often named as a good one, another says to give a minor discount (probably also available to all juniors) to passholders.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The Baltic Countries are not in the Railplanner app :/ You have to use the website of the local Railcompanies to get the actual times :)

Another option as said above is the Coach :) LuxExpress offer a discount for Railpass user :) https://benefitsportal.eurail.com/benefits/lux-express/

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

So I want to get from Tallinn to Riga, and I read that first one has to take a train from Tallinn to Valga at the Estonian border and then a train from Valga to Riga. However none of these train stations show up in the rail planner app. I have the Interrail mobile pass so I need to add eagh journey to my ticket in the app, right? 

The app is incomplete since some railways don't send their data to the European Timetable Centre, such as the railways in the Baltics. In addition, the app doesn’t get enough updates to be reliable and should therefore not be used to plan. Instead, use the national or railway companies’ websites or apps (Estonian railways, Latvian railways) and the Deutsche Bahn website or DB Navigator app for international planning.

In the app, you can add any train to your trip and to your pass, since you can add trains manually. Do check if it’s worth using a travel day, since trains in the Baltic countries are quite cheap.