Solved

Lindau-Reutin for German pass holders / Potential bug in the Railplanner app

• 11 August 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi all,

I have a question on the validity on the pass on border stations, especially between Germany, Switzerland and Austria. I have a global pass with residency in Germany and made the following experience with the app:

1. I’ve used the pass on several occasions travelling from Konstanz (DE) to Zurich (CH), in this case the Railplanner app shows Konstanz as Konstanz (Germany), however it does not deduct an inbound or outbound travel day, as the station is literally a few meters after the border and since Konstanz station is part of the SBB train network. So no issues here.

2. In a similar case, I travelled with a separate ticket (Deutschlandticket) to Lindau-Reutin and then wanted to continue by Interrail towards Bregenz in Austria. Lindau-Reutin is again shown as Lindau-Reutin (Germany) on the app, however in this case the app wants to deduct an inbound or outbound travel day.

I wonder whether behaviour of the app is correct in this instance. In this post I found the following list of the border points between Austria and its neighbouring countries:

Hier eine Liste. Bei all denen brauchst du eine Fahrkarte ab dem Grenztarifpunkt: 

Deutschland: Mittenwald(Gr)

Slowakei: Marchegg(Gr), Kittsee(Gr)

Slowenien: Bleiburg(Gr), Spielfeld-Strass(Gr), Rosenbach(Gr)

Tschechien: Summerau(Gr), Gmünd NÖ(Gr), Unterretzbach(Gr), Bernhardsthal(Gr)

Ungarn: Nickelsdorf(Gr), Pamhagen(Gr)

Bei den Folgenden ab dem angegebenen Bahnhof (aber da hast du österreichischen Binnentarif):

Deutschland: Kufstein, Lindau-Reutin, Passau Hbf, Salzburg Hbf, Simbach 

Italien: Brenner, San Candido / Innichen, Tarvisio Boscoverde

Schweiz: Buchs SG, St. Margrethen

Ungarn: Sopron, Szentgotthárd

Since Lindau-Reutin is considered already part of ÖBB network and as you can purchase domestic rail tickets for Austria from this station (e.g. Lindau-Reutin to Innsbruck is considered domestic), I believe the behaviour of the app is wrong in this case and I shouldn’t have an inbound/outbound travel day deducted if I travel from Lindau-Reutin towards Austria. I solved this problem by adding the trains manually, however since my ticket was not checked, I wanted to confirm whether I had a valid ticket or not. Does anyone have a view on this? Moreover, if this is indeed a bug in the app, then it would of course be great if the Interrail team could fix it.

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Best,

Sebastian

icon

Best answer by MartinM 11 August 2023, 18:09

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yes, Lindau-Reutin to St. Margrethen doesn’t require an outbound day, as it is part of the ÖBB network and I think with adding it manually you did everything right. I am using paper passes and have traveled this route 100 times and it is perfectly fine to do like you described.