Solved

Lyon to Finland

• 14 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Hey, I’m completely new here, I’m trying to plan a trip from Lyon to Finland (whatever the city). My goal is to go the furthest north I can with the Global pass. In also don’t have a limitation on the numbers of days for the pass yet. My problem is that none of the cities cited on the website in Finland seems to work in the interrail app, and the network seems to end in Sweden.

PS : I intend to maybe take the bus to go to Saint-Petersburg to go see a friend, but I didnt research on Russian limitations for European travelers yet and it’s just a possibility I thought of not my end goal.

Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by Hektor 14 February 2024, 15:46

View original

3 replies

The furthest north with a global pass is not in Finland, it’s in Norway. 😉

Regarding Finland: There is a main way to get there by train: Lyon - Hamburg - København - Stockholm - Haparanda - walk into Finland or go by bus (Tornio).

There’s a gap of 4,7 km between Sweden and Finland without passenger trains. That’s why you don’t find any connections.

All other ways would mean to go by boat.

Thanks for the reply thats great news ! How far north would the Global pass take me if I chose to go on a trip on Norway instead ?

Thanks for the reply thats great news ! How far north would the Global pass take me if I chose to go on a trip on Norway instead ?

Narvik in Norway. Same route to Stockholm (in fact Boden). From Stockholm, there’s a direct night train to Narvik. Very interesting on the last part.

Classic roundtrip: from there by bus to Bodø (or Fauske) and back in Norway (one of the most scenic train journeys in Europe). Direct day and night train Bodø to Trondheim and from there by day or night train to Oslo or back into Sweden via Storlien.

If you’d like to go further north: There’s a bus pass in summer that get’s you up to Nordkapp or the russian border in Kirkenes from Narvik.