Solved

Making a reservation - necessary to turn on a travel day to make a reservation?

Dear sir/ms. 

I hope you can help me. Yesterday we tried to make a reservation for a train in Spain, since this is needed. The lady at the desk refused however to make a reservation before we added the travel day in the app, even though the day we wanted to travel on was a few days ahead. Because of bad internet we could not turn on the travel day and she even refused to check if there would be trains available for this date. Is is necessary to turn on your travel day when making a reservation? I understand that is is obligatory when entering the train, but I believe it is not when making a reservation, or am I wrong?

icon

Best answer by Al_G 22 July 2022, 12:42

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

No it isn’t necessary however there have been reports of this behaviour from Spanish staff before.

Sadly as buying in person is the only option you may just have to play along and activate the pass for the travel day in question, you can and should deactivate it again once you have the reservation bought.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

RENFE is very, very cautious in making people not just buy the RES only and then blocking seats for what they could have sold for normal prices-these AVE are in heavy demand, the more so now in summer=hi-season.

There have also even been reports here that people had to act. passday-same day and then were advised ´no seats´=that means you cannot de-activate that day anymore.

From their side its understandable, but it remains PITA for passholders @1 with 3***

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

No it isn’t necessary however there have been reports of this behaviour from Spanish staff before.

Sadly as buying in person is the only option you may just have to play along and activate the pass for the travel day in question, you can and should deactivate it again once you have the reservation bought.

You should never activate today's date as a travel day unless you are 100% sure that you will travel today. So never do that for today's date. If it is a day in the future, then you can activate the travel day and then deactivate the day, just as @Al_G says.