Solved

Missed train toward final destination. Can I take another without extra reservation fees?

• 23 March 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge

hi, 

i would need help for my onward connection to final destination (Munich). 

My initially booked reservation from 

1. London 1104am to Midi Brussels 205pm (Eurostar ES9126)
  2. Midi Brussels 225pm to Cologne 405pm (ICE17) - booked via DB
  3. Cologne to Dusseldorf (RE26879)
  4. Dusseldorf 1127pm to Munich 24th Mar 603am (ICE 619)  - booked via DB

However, now that i missed my train and got rebook onto next train leaving London at 304pm and arriving Midi Brussles at 605pm. 

Is there a possibility that i can be taking the trains shown in the photo without having to pay for any extra fees? Also this would mean that my reservation fee for ICE17 will be wasted ? 

Lastly, any tips on how early should i be arriving at the train station for trains in Germany & Paris ? 

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 23 March 2022, 13:00

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You should be able to make ICE 19 leaving Brussels at 18:25, e.g.:

Or you go via Köln Hbf to Düsseldorf (ICE 619 does not call at Köln Hbf today because of engineering works):

Further, it's much better to use the DB Navigator app: it is more up to date and uses realtime data and should also display platforms and platform changes.

In Brussels, when arriving with the Eurostar, there is a short-cut to get to the other platforms faster, see this page.

In ICE 19, there are still plenty of seats available. Coach 22 still has the most:

So just go there and find a free seat.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you miss ICE 19 at 18:25, then this is the next connection to Düsseldorf:

No reservations needed. In IC 517, take a seat in one of the last coaches, since the station tunnel in Welkenraedt is near the rear of the train.

Badge

In another word if i am able to make it for ICE19, i just would have to hop onto the train & find the seats without having to pay for anything? Meanwhile i would need to add the trip to my mobile pass. 

So you have next train suggestion that i should take this train if i were to miss taking ICE19 ? 

Also, does all train departure requires all passenger to arrive 90-120mins prior to departure or is just the Eurostar thing ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In another word if i am able to make it for ICE19, i just would have to hop onto the train & find the seats without having to pay for anything? Meanwhile i would need to add the trip to my mobile pass. 

Correct.

So you have next train suggestion that i should take this train if i were to miss taking ICE19 ? 

Correct.

Also, does all train departure requires all passenger to arrive 90-120mins prior to departure or is just the Eurostar thing ? 

That's a Eurostar thing (who don't like that either but it's imposed on them by mainly the British government). In France, the departure process starts 2 minutes before the published departure time. And as always, in big stations, take a few minutes extra because you may need to walk to the other end of the station.

Badge

i see. 

How about this next train leaving midi Brussels ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

How about this next train leaving midi Brussels ? 

That's the same one that I posted in case you miss ICE 19 :)

Badge

@rvdborgt 

ah i just saw it. 

Thank you so much for being a life saver 🙏🏻

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Additional: the overnight ICE 619 stops around 20-25 mins after DUS at KÖln MESSE DEUTZ, which is a rather stark empty stop just across the river from Köln HBF=Main. You do not have to go to DUS and come back same sector, there are trains ev. minute or so from HBF to Messe )take the S-bahn), this may save you more time. NOTE this is an only seats normal daytime ICE and it stops quite long at FRA-airport in the mid of night-DO take care of belongings there!!

IF you need to stock up: In K-HBF are at least 2 smallish convenience supermarkets (REWE toGO) with even fairly normal city prices and open 24 hrs. After arr in MUC same chain-just beyond the escalators going down to S-bahn, far left side.

Seeing your name: by now about any major HBF in nearly all German big cities have a Asia-HUNG noodles/rice shop-but not 24 hrs open.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Additional: the overnight ICE 619 stops around 20-25 mins after DUS at KÖln MESSE DEUTZ

Today it doesn't.