Missing itinerary in Eurail site - 7/30 NJ402 Zurich to Amsterdam missing from search, but 7/30 NJ402 Zurich to Utrecht is reservable?

I am planning on doing my reservations using a 5 day/1 month Eurail pass and one of the legs is to take OBB Nightjet from Zurich to Amsterdam on 7/30. I see NJ402 servicing this route on 7/30 from Zurich to the Netherlands.

However I do not see NJ402 Zurich to Amsterdam as an option when searching on Eurail’s site. Checking OBB’s site and Trainline I do see NJ402 Zurich to Amsterdam route as an option, but Eurail’s site only shows NJ402 going from Zurich to Utrecht. Is this a bug in the website? I don’t want to book Zurich to Utrecht; I want Zurich to Amsterdam and clearly NJ402 goes towards Amsterdam Centraal but for some reason the site does not list it as an option.

Alternatively is it possible to reserve not on Eurail’s site for train days valid on a Eurail pass? I guess if I can reserve elsewhere and circumvent Eurail’s site that might work but I wanted to reserve all the seats I needed to on Eurail’s site out of convenience.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can book your reservations anywhere you like. I avoid using the Eurail website because of their added booking fees (2€ per person and train) and their way too expensive optional reservations (6+2=8€ per person and train instead of 3€ per person and train at ÖBB or 4€ per person and journey at DB).

OK yes, I was able to figure it out since making this post, so I did the reservation on the OEBB site for NJ402.

On a side note, I have another itinerary earlier in my trip which is 7/23, Wien Hbf to Zurich Hbf 0530 which I am trying to buy the 15 EUR business class upgrade. However I do not have an option on the OEBB site to upgrade. Checking earlier routes for the same 0530 train earlier in the month I do get the option, so I am wondering if it is too far out to reserve business class seats as it is more than 60 days out is why I can’t reserve the business class seats yet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It MAY well be possible that just on that day/period these NJ canNOT reach the capital that does NOT want any tourists anymore-but not due to this, but due to never ending and always nuisance WORks along the tracks somewhere. If you really want to know it all know then its probably possible to dig it up somewhere in the deep holes of this www. But its probably more useful to spend time adapt to EUR-style dates as first day, then month and NO am/pm. Seems awfully hard for many a USAer.

NJ is always late on arr. in Nederland.

Normally local IC trains run ev 10 mins Utr-Ams (and on to much nicer places as Zaandam/Alkmaar or even HOorn) or 4/hr via another branch stopping in Ams-Zuid and then Airport.

@last: I recalll somehow (but am not really much interested in these ´up´grades so forget asap) that OeBB does NOT allow these cheapskate passholders to mingle with their esteemed hi-brow bisnis clients-probably becse of too many complaints from them about brash and overloud baseballcapwearers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@last: I recalll somehow (but am not really much interested in these ´up´grades so forget asap) that OeBB does NOT allow these cheapskate passholders to mingle with their esteemed hi-brow bisnis clients-probably becse of too many complaints from them about brash and overloud baseballcapwearers.

If ÖBB offer the upgrade option on other days and trains, then clearly you can use it.

Not sure though what the problem is on 23 July. As far as I know, it is not too far in advance. You could ask ÖBB e.g. via their social media.

Doing some checks on the OEBB site, it looks like I can reserve a business class seat up to July 10th 0530. But cannot for July 11th 0530. I will check in a few days if it’s bookable for the 11th and if so, then it is some kind of window that hasn’t yet reached my actual intended date of July 23rd.

Doing a quick calculation and it looks like July 10th is about 45 days from now so maybe that’s the current reservation window for the Vienna to Zurich Railjet Express on the OEBB site.