Solved

my partner and i are stuck in cologne

• 1 October 2022
  • 9 replies

My partner and I are currently stuck in Cologne. Our connecting train to Brussels that would bring us to London has been cancelled. 

Further, we didn’t realize we couldn’t buy a seat reservation from Brussels to London day-of. Not that it matters anymore now. We’re considering getting the 12:42 PM from Cologne to Paris, Paris to London. Can we still get on the train without reservations? Sitting on the floor is fine with us. 

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 1 October 2022, 11:04

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The trains to Paris require reservations. 

You need to approach the Dbahn desk and see them to discuss what they can do as they cancelled your train.

You also need to check on Eurostar - Paris may also not be available.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Paris has no trains until Mon teatime - even then you you pay full fare of £250 + depending on train you want to take.

You may need to head for Rotterdam for overnight ferry to Hull or Calais to Dover.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Also check flights to UK. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

First figure out how you're going to get to the UK. Every option needs a reservation.

First option from Brussels is Monday 3 October 8:52.

First option from Paris is Wednesday 5 October 7:43.

Stenaline from Hoek van Holland still has availability for the night sailing. Use discount code EURAIL.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Brussels Eurostar has  availability tomorrow at £250 or Monday from about £100 each.

You couid get to Brussels either on the next ICE or regional trains via Aachen,

You need to approach the Dbahn desk and see them to discuss what they can do as they cancelled your train.

So are we just absolutely out of luck then?

this is my first Interrail, and I’m sort of confused on why I spent €200 on a pass when I’ve needed to pay more for every single trip 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

this is my first Interrail, and I’m sort of confused on why I spent €200 on a pass when I’ve needed to pay more for every single trip 

It's not for every single trip. It depends a lot on which countries you go to and which trains you use. The information is all on the Eurail website.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The fee for a pass holder seat on the Eurostar is about 30 EUR in 2nd class. 

There is a limited number of pass holder seats on the Eurostar and on popular departures and during high season those sell out weeks, and sometimes months in advance.

The best place to see the availability of passholder seats and make reservations on the Eurostar is 

https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish

Press "later trains" and eventually you will find the next available connection. 

If you have a mobile pass you need to generate a Pass Cover Number in order to make the reservation at b-europe. You do that here in the PCN generator:

https://community.eurail.com/news-and-announcements-39/pass-cover-number-generator-is-live-5653

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

So are we just absolutely out of luck then?

Your final challenge (getting back to the UK) is unfortunately the one with least options - Eurostar or ferries or flights. There is no way back without some extra payment and it is complicated by limited availability for pass holders.

For almost every other country there are inclusive or low reservation fee options. With forward knowledge you could have done your E* journey back for 30 euro, saving anything from 30 to 200 pounds on turn up and go price.

I know it doesn’t ease the pain but, as a relatively new Brit Interrailer, once I realised we had to pay for reservations I treated them like Ryanair supplements - a necessary evil.

I hope you got some positives from your journey and , by all means, post before doing Interrail again for guidance and advice. I assure you the second time is easier.