Solved

Narvik to Stockholm NT93 September 1

• 30 May 2024
  • 8 replies

I am trying to book from Narvik to Stockholm on train 93 (the direct train) on Sunday September 1. I understand the vy are having some problems with booking on this train, however what is most concerning is that there are no trains listed (either the direct, or the change at Boden) on Sunday September 1 or Monday September 2. I can see trains on other days before and after those days, but not on the day we wish to travel.  We could travel on the the Saturday but although train 95 is scheduled, there’s no 93. And I defintely don’t want to arrive at Stockholm at 06:27 or whatever.

Is this likely to be related to planned works? We were planning to go by train to Bodø, and then bus to Narvik, but I am not interested in the bus trip if all we do at the end is fly back to Oslo. And then I wonder about whether it is worth even going to Bodø?  Maybe return from Trondheim to Oslo via Røros.

But there’s no point panicking if this train will appear on the schedules...

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 30 May 2024, 10:34

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The SJ website tells that the tickets will be released later so I'd be confident. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

But if you look at the website of VY, who runs the train, there are no departures on the 1st and 2nd of September. 

Yes, I have seen that. But SJ says that for any date after June 4, when their new booking system takes over.  However our date is still more than 90 days before departure, so I won’t be too concerned for another week.  I have emailed vy.se but, in contrast to every other such enquiry made to a Scandinavian operator, I have had no reply for a couple of days. 

Hi, I have the exact same problem… I'm planning to take this destination on June 12th however, so I feel some pressure to book this soon. I cannot get in touch with Vy, I send them several e-mails and when I tried calling them I have been in the waiting queu for >1 hour for a couple of times now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

According to the Swedish Transportation Authority trains transporting persons will be allowed on the now repaired tracks between Narvik and Kiruna at the earliest on the 18th of June. This means that before the 18th of June is no chance of a direct train from Narvik to Stockholm.

There should be a connection with a rail replacement bus from Narvik to Björkliden and then train from Björkliden to Stockholm with a change of trains in Boden. 

According to the Swedish Transportation Authority trains transporting persons will be allowed on the now repaired tracks between Narvik and Kiruna at the earliest on the 18th of June. This means that before the 18th of June is no chance of a direct train from Narvik to Stockholm.

There should be a connection with a rail replacement bus from Narvik to Björkliden and then train from Björkliden to Stockholm with a change of trains in Boden. 

Note that this reply is marked as an answer, but is not the answer to my original question, which relates to travel on September 1. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Note that this reply is marked as an answer, but is not the answer to my original question, which relates to travel on September 1. 

For September, it will probably be some more weeks before reservations open. By the latest mid-August.

Looking at this from the other end, vy.se is showing trains from Stockholm to Kiruna on every day from Friday 30 August through to Thursday 5 September (and with a fare shown, so bookable). Trains to Narvik appear on all those days too (and I can book and reserve a 2nd class seat, but no sleepers), except for Saturday 31 August and Sunday 1 September. 

There are NO trains between Kiruna and Narvik on that weekend, which suggests that the line is closed (presumably trackwork) somewhere between those stations. 

Looks like we are going to plan B - returning from Trondheim to Oslo via Kristiansund and Åndalsnes, and then on to Stockholm, and not going to Bodø and Narvik.