Solved

Night train and following train

• 4 September 2022
  • 7 replies

Hello, I have a problem and I’m hoping you can help me. I'm living in Germany and Im on vacation in Italy. Yesterday I booked a connection back to Germany. The problem is, that I’m traveling with a night jet to Munich and from Munich I have to take another train. I’ll start my journey in Italy at 10pm and arriving Munich at 6am on the next morning, because of I’m traveling over night my outbound ticket is used when I arrive in Munich and I can’t travel with my interrail ticket again. The problem is that I have to take another train from Munich which isn’t include in my ticket anymore and the app says I have to buy me a ticket on my own. My question is, is there any other chance to take the following train from Munich without paying?

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 4 September 2022, 13:34

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The question is whether the night train enters Germany before or after midnight.

If the train enters Germany before midnight there is nothing you can do and you need to buy a ticket from Munich to your home town.

If the train enters Germany after midnight you need to split the journey for the night train in 2 parts. One part from your departure station in Italy to a station that the train passes after midnight but before enterring Germany and a second part from that station to Munich. If ypu do like this then the inbound travel day will be on the arrival day of the night train and you can then continue from Munich to your home town on your inbound travel day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The question is whether the night train enters Germany before or after midnight.

If the train enters Germany before midnight there is nothing you can do and you need to buy a ticket from Munich to your home town.

If the train enters Germany after midnight you need to split the journey for the night train in 2 parts. One part from your departure station in Italy to a station that the train passes after midnight but before enterring Germany and a second part from that station to Munich. If ypu do like this then the inbound travel day will be on the arrival day of the night train and you can then continue from Munich to your home town on your inbound travel day.

This will also work if the train stops in Austria after midnight (eg Salzburg). It doesn’t affect any reservations as they are different from your pass.

All you are doing is splitting your pass into two separate legs, one outside your home country and and back into your home country

It worked! Thank you

Thank you very much 

Hello h,

how did you manage to book a bed in the night train (if you have one)? I‘m also planning to take a night train from Italy to Munich.

thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

how did you manage to book a bed in the night train (if you have one)? I‘m also planning to take a night train from Italy to Munich.

The best website to book is the ÖBB website. Do NOT use "Seat only” but add the Interrail/Eurail discount and then look for normal tickets.

Thanks rvdborgt,

this actually works!