night train Budapest- Cluj Napoca reservation

• 18 April 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi! I want to book a train from Budapest to Cluj Napoca (on May, the 30th) but it says that you can only get the ticket by paper. Does that mean that I will receive the ticket at my adress? The problem is that I will be already traveling. 

Is it possible to buy a ticket right a the train station in Budapest or would it be too late ? How should I do?

How do you do to book train ticket that need to be send in paper or printed if you are already traveling ? I mean, it’s the case for almost each night train. 

‘’Thank you for your answers :)

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You should be able to book it online on tickets.oebb.at. Add Interrail/Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets.

tickets.oebb.at is a great website as it has no booking fee and can offer many reservations that Interrail/Eurail would send by mail (+10€ booking fee).

They offer most night trains in Europe too as they run all Nightjets + have partnerships with other companies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can book one of the night trains Budapest-Cluj via ÖBB, but unfortunately not the other night train or the day trains.

So it depends.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes unfortunately it only works for this night train (but I guess it is the one that @clarafonso wanted to take) :

• Budapest-Keleti - Cluj-Napoca 22:45 - 07:19

Oddly enough this night train is available on some dates but not others… 20th April yes, 30th May no… kind of weird (there’s no 30-day limit as far as I can see)

Thank you for your  responses! I just checked and as you said, there is no possibilty to book any ticket… I don’t understand why

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The ÖBB website sometimes fails for certain trains without a clear reason, We've also seen that in Italy. The night train on 30 May is not full, as we can see on the MÁV website.

The best in such a case is to go to a ticket office. It doesn't need to be in Hungary. Maybe even SNCF can book a reservation.

I think that I found the possibity to book a train with MAV website. I didn’t book yet but it seems to be easier to get a ticket :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I think that I found the possibity to book a train with MAV website. I didn’t book yet but it seems to be easier to get a ticket :)

Yes, the MÁV website will sell a normal ticket, but pass reservations there only seem to work for the train departing at 17:40, but that arrives really late in Cluj.