Solved

Night train reservations in Italy: only single occupancy?

• 10 April 2022
  • 8 replies

• Right on track
  • 8 replies

Trenitalia only seems to sell single occupancy accomodation on their night trains in Italy (e.g. to Sicily) at this moment, still due to Covid-19: either a couchette or sleeping compartment. Options for Interrail reservations, however, are still “Bed in 6-berth sleeper - €41” and “Private single sleeper - €122”. Can I assume that the with the former reservation, I will receive a single occupancy couchette compartment?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 11 April 2022, 11:52

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Due to covid, all compartments are sold only for single occupancy. 

Due to covid, all compartments are sold only for single occupancy. 

Thank you! I didn’t actually try to make a reservation yet, but it seems like travelling with single occupancy is relatively inexpensive at the moment then.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

“Bed in 6-berth sleeper - €41” does not really sound like a complete compartment. Which train is that?

When I check e.g. Venice - Rome or Rome - Catania then I get "Cuccetta C4 Comfort per 1 passeggero - Compartimento intero (2° classe) €97”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes, this has also been quoted a few times here-around 100€ for this luxury=around double of what a budget HTL usually cost. Someone, maybe also angelo, has posted here that there are sometimes special promotions and that then the special all-in fare is even lower as this amount

“Bed in 6-berth sleeper - €41” does not really sound like a complete compartment. Which train is that?

When I check e.g. Venice - Rome or Rome - Catania then I get "Cuccetta C4 Comfort per 1 passeggero - Compartimento intero (2° classe) €97”.

I was referring to Interrail reservations, not the full ticket price. €41 is the normal reservation fee for one bed in a C4. Night train fees in Europe | Interrail.eu My assumption was that if you book this, you get the entire compartment, given Italian regulations? I can’t try whether it is actually possible to make this reservation, but it is still shown like this when searching for Italian night trains on the Interrail Reservation Service. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I was referring to Interrail reservations, not the full ticket price. €41 is the normal reservation fee for one bed in a C4. Night train fees in Europe | Interrail.eu My assumption was that if you book this, you get the entire compartment, given Italian regulations? I can’t try whether it is actually possible to make this reservation, but it is still shown like this when searching for Italian night trains on the Interrail Reservation Service. 

For which train did you see the 41€ fare? As far as I can see, it is not available at this moment. There are only higher fares available, such as a complete C4 couchette compartment (with single occupancy) for 97€.

For which train did you see the 41€ fare? As far as I can see, it is not available at this moment. There are only higher fares available, such as a complete C4 couchette compartment (with single occupancy) for 97€.

As I mentioned, I can currently only view the estimations since I didn’t purchase an Interrail pass yet. However, if I understand your answer correctly, reservation fees will be different in a later stage.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

A single berth in a couchette compartment can currently not be booked: