Solved

Nightjet Venice- Munich runs in January?

• 17 September 2022
  • 8 replies

Hello! I m planning a trip around Europe in January 2023, but I find "seats not available" in OBB nightjet for January 8. Does it run those days? Any other connection recommended from Venice to Múnich? Thanks a lot.

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 17 September 2022, 23:41

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Too soon to book for Jan but keep looking, normally 2 to 3 months ahead. New timetables across Europe are released 12 Dec, but bookings will start sooner.

There are 2 realistic routes to Munich, via Vienna and the change for Munich, or via Verona and the Brenner pass with Eurocity - there is one or maybe 2 direct day trains from VCE or about every 2 hours from Verona - easy to get to from VCE.

Check both D Bahn and OEBB sites for these routes as IR planner can be limited in how often it updates.

p.s. it would be a shame to miss the views through the alps. Stay in VCE Mestre ( cheaper than on the islands) near the station for an early start.

Your answer is very helpful. Thanks!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

The train will run for sure and likely will be even extended from Munich to Stuttgart (nightjet) with the timetable change in December.
Beside the route via Verona, also the route via Tarvisio, Villach, Salzburg is nice… so choose what fits you better. Views on both routes are nice but I like the one via Tarvisio more.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The train will run for sure and likely will be even extended from Munich to Stuttgart (nightjet) with the timetable change in December.
Beside the route via Verona, also the route via Tarvisio, Villach, Salzburg is nice… so choose what fits you better. Views on both routes are nice but I like the one via Tarvisio more.

We did the Brenner to Munich a couple of weeks ago. Next week we do the Travisio run to Vienna.

The Brenner was lovely so we now look forward to Tarvisio run.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Via Brenner run the Eurocity trains directly. Via Tarvisio and Tauern railway you have to change trains in Villach, except for the nightrains Nightjet that run via Tauern railway (NJ to/from Munich and NJ Vienna-Venice) and all Nightjets to Italy run via Tarvisio.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yes, that’s why I wrote Villach and Salzburg extra, because there will be changes needed… But the Tauern is also nice one. 
Probably also a one day stopover in Salzburg would be worth it (or when going via Verona a stopover in Innsbruck)

"The train will run for sure" is music for my eras! Haha! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

ÖBB opens their bookings for the new timetable 2023, tomorrow 20.09.2022. 

Almost all trains will be opened for booking (max. 180 days before for Nightjet services).

But you can check the timetable for 2023. Some trains are still missing and will be added in a second moment. Also be aware that timetables can still change till December).