Solved

No reservation between border of France and Germany

• 27 March 2023
  • 7 replies

Hello,

I want to travel from Paris to Germany. As it is a little complicated to book cross-country seat reservations I wanted to ask if you know which concequences it could have if you have no seat reservation between the last stop in France and the first stop in Germany.

In fact I want to take the TGV from Paris to Frankfurt (and then continue on in Germany). I would book a reservation to Forbach (France) via travel.b-europe.com and a reservation from Saarbrücken (Germany) via Deutsche Bahn. So I would not have a reservation between Forbach and Saarbrücken (where the journey takes about 10 minutes). Do you know if this might have consequences / additional fees and if so, which?

Thnaks for your answers,

Simon

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 27 March 2023, 20:24

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Why don't you book directly via Interrail/Eurail ?

It is the best option, although there is a 2€ booking fee.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Also possible from SNCF or DB ticket offices or by phone from both (and some other railways). No booking fees in that case.

Why don't you book directly via Interrail/Eurail ?

It is the best option, although there is a 2€ booking fee.

Ok, but how does it work via Interrail? IT does not work for me via website and via App: I can only book for one person, do I have to book every reservation separately (we are travelling as a family of five) and what if in the meantine the reservations are fully booked?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Your passes should have been added to the Interrail website. But if you book there (website only, not on the app), there’ll be 5 x 2€ booking fee (as with all reservations with Interrail, that’s why we advise to book somewhere else when available). Or simply call SNCF/DB (no booking fee) or visit a DB ticket counter if you live in Germany.

You’ll be seated together (either 2, 2 + 1 or a table of four and 1).

What do you mean by in the meantime ? Seat reservations won’t sell out instantly and you’ll buy them in one booking anyway. If you leave it to the last minute, you might not be seated together or the train might be full though.

Thanks for your help. I went to the DB ticket counter, but they couldn’t sell me reservations. So I tried it via interrail.eu but as I said it also wasn’t possible. I guess I found the error. My language was set to “German” and there is no information, that the booking period has not started yet.

I thought I was going to go mad because I couldn't find the seat booking. But when I changed the language to English, I got this very helpful information:

Could it be that this is why I could not book a reservation at the counter?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes you are way too early. Don't worry seats won't sell in a day anyway :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As always, you'll get better information if you mention more details, most importantly route, date and departure time.