Solved

No reservation possible from Stockholm to Narvik NT94

• 25 February 2023
  • 36 replies

Hello
After having purchased my interrail ticket, I am trying to reserve a seat from 

-Hamburg to Stockholm and
-Stockholm to Narvik

Currently it is not possible for the 5-6 of August 2023. I also tried earlier but do not get the option to purchase a place in sleeping car of even a normal seat?

Any hint most welcome!
Yvan

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 26 February 2023, 13:42

View original

36 replies

Yes, I found the same. As far as I can see, they never opened up for dates just before 9th (and train is now not showing in timetable), so I guess for some days it just won’t run at all. 

As others have said, book for the connecting train and can cancel it later. Trainplanet charges  just10sek for this I think - for interrai/eurail reservations. 

Cheers. Booking the connecting train is a last resort as I’m planning to stay in Tromso the night before, so getting to Narvik for the departure time would involve a bus at 6am, plus there’s the 14 minute connection at Boden. Neither of which are ideal!

I wouldn’t trust a 14 minute connection in south east England, let alone in the middle of Sweden onto a sleeper train.

I’ll mull it over though if I can’t get any sense from SJ/VY in the coming days.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yes, I found the same. As far as I can see, they never opened up for dates just before 9th (and train is now not showing in timetable), so I guess for some days it just won’t run at all. 

As others have said, book for the connecting train and can cancel it later. Trainplanet charges  just10sek for this I think - for interrai/eurail reservations. 

Cheers. Booking the connecting train is a last resort as I’m planning to stay in Tromso the night before, so getting to Narvik for the departure time would involve a bus at 6am, plus there’s the 14 minute connection at Boden. Neither of which are ideal!

I wouldn’t trust a 14 minute connection in south east England, let alone in the middle of Sweden onto a sleeper train.

I’ll mull it over though if I can’t get any sense from SJ/VY in the coming days.

The 14 minute change in Boden should be a guaranteed connection so that should be fine unless something extraordinary happens.

Badge +2

As an update on this - I wouldn’t hold out much hope of anything with these trains!

Having put the direct train on sale just two weeks ago, it has now been cancelled just a few days before. I received an email from Vy this morning saying cancelled due to track work. Luckily in my case I can still book back onto the earlier train with connections as its still available. The direct train still show in the booking system as well….

Last minute changes up here are not good - I will lose money on booked accommodation and having to get to Narvik a day early to make the new times. Does anyone know if train companies have any liability here when they cancel a confirmed booking? I know airlines would/should.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Does anyone know if train companies have any liability here when they cancel a confirmed booking? I know airlines would/should.

If the expected delay on arrival exceeds 60 minutes and you still want to travel, then they're required to offer an alternative connection. If that means you're stranded somewhere, then they have to provide accommodation for the night. Compensation for delay can also be requested.

Badge +2

In this case, they are offering the train five hours earlier. This will mean to make the train I would have to travel (with bus) to Narvik the day before. So this is where the loss/extra cost comes from. Especially as they only give 3-4 days notice of cancellation. Is there any liability in this case? 

Alternatively, if I take train the next day (claiming unable to make this earlier train) would they be liable for accommodation night before train?

Its really bad practice to be doing this in this region. There are very few travel options and people make plans far ahead.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Liability for consequential damage depends on national legislation but often there is none.

You're not required to take an earlier train. If you take the first available connection after your booked train to complete your journey, then the operator is liable for any necessary rebooking and accommodation.

Hey, I’m glad that I found this thread & am not the only one wondering how to get to the North this summer. :) Do you happen to know where the construction work will take place? Why does it only affect train 94 (Stockholm - Narvik) and not train 92 (Stockholm - Lulea, via Boden where you can change to a day train to Narvik)?It seems that the route from Stockholm to Boden is the same for both 92 and 94. 

So I’ve managed to book the train this Sunday from Narvik to Stockholm, but I have already made a booking on the connecting train that I need to cancel.

It looks like I can’t cancel it now without an SJ account? But I need a Swedish social securty number to make it?! Is there another way?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It looks like I can’t cancel it now without an SJ account? But I need a Swedish social securty number to make it?! Is there another way?

You don't need an SJ account. Go to Journeys > Get journey or period ticket. Then enter your details.

This is the direct URL: https://www.sj.se/en/andra-bokning/sok-bokning

Badge +2

So I’ve managed to book the train this Sunday from Narvik to Stockholm, but I have already made a booking on the connecting train that I need to cancel.

I would be a bit cautious with this. I was booked for the direct train on Friday and it was cancelled. When I rang them to discuss they told me they were “not sure” whether the saturday and later direct trains would operate. No more details, just not sure…

So I booked the connecting train to avoid any more hassle!

Out of nowhere, NT 93 (and indeed NT94) seems to have gone on sale for the date I’m looking at. Seems to terminate at start from Boden with a regional train from Narvik and a 25 minute connection. Have booked accordingly.