Solved

No seat option from Zurich to Como S Garibaldi

• 6 June 2023
  • 3 replies

In the Eurail site it shows seats can be reserved but when I go through the process it gives and error. It seems to switch me from electronic tickets to paper tickets and I live in the USA and cannot receive paper tickets in time. This is a non-stop train on TrenItalia but when I go to the TrenItalia site it doesn’t offer Zurich as a departure station so couldn’t resolve the issue there either. All advice gratefully received.

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 6 June 2023, 02:04

View original

3 replies

Sorry Como S Giovanni 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Zurich - Como S. Giovanni : the direct ECs trains require a 11€ seat reservation for 1 km in Italy so it's a big waste of money imho.

2 options that do not take longer and are fully reservation-free :

- any train Zurich - Chiasso (incl. ECs)

- regional train Chiasso - Como S. Giovanni (5 min)

OR

- any train Zurich - Lugano

- RE Lugano - Como S. Giovanni

There are good connections every 30 min. Use SBB for planning.

General advice :

Interrail/Eurail passholder seat reservations cannot be made anymore through trenitalia.com. The best option is to use tickets.oebb.at (no booking fee) : add Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets. The Austrian Railways website (OBB) works in a lot of countries, including Italy ! :)

Scenery suggestion :

If you can afford the extra hour, I very much recommend taking the Old Gotthard Railway instead of the fast but boring 57-km Gotthard Tunnel. Search via Airolo on planners

Thank you thibcabe