Solved

Not able to reserve Spiez to Milano Centrale in August

• 6 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi, I’m trying to reserve couple of seats for August 26th but the trenitalia.com site shows “No travel solution found” for that date and route. I thought this is because I was being too early but I see open reservations for September (starting 16th). 

Also, the direct train (E51) is already sold out for August 19th (week prior to my booking date). So, this is making me anxious now.

Questions

1. Are there any other websites I can book direct trains for this route?
  2. Why am I not able to book August 26th? Is it because August reservations open late?

Any tips or help on this is very much appreciated.
Thank you!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 6 May 2023, 07:25

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The Italian summer timetable has not been published yet or at least hasn't been uploaded into Eurail

I don't think the 19th August train is sold out, it simply isn't available to book at the moment

When it becomes available book on tickets.oebb.at (no booking fee, add Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets).

In general it's best to avoid booking on eurail.com because they add 2€ booking fee per person per train. See advice :

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

@thibcabe thanks for that info. I’m completely new to Europe travel and this is my first time taking a train in Europe.

Follow up questions:

1. Can I use Eurail discount without a global pass or buying any kind of discount pass?
  2. The site you mentioned (oebb.at) seems like an Austrian site. How are we able to book trains within Switzerland and Italy using an Austrian transport provider?

Thank you so much!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
  1. Can I use Eurail discount without a global pass or buying any kind of discount pass?

You can use it with any Eurail/Interrail pass (or combination of passes) that covers your entire journey.

1. The site you mentioned (oebb.at) seems like an Austrian site. How are we able to book trains within Switzerland and Italy using an Austrian transport provider.

Many European railways companies sell tickets and reservations for journeys to/in other countries, so that's nothing special. ÖBB however is the only one that offers pass reservations for Italy online. It's entirely legitimate.