Not allowed on train without reservation

My daughter is currently traveling with an itinerary of London-Italy-Croatia-Austria-Brussels-London.  Her group tried to get a train today from Trieste, Italy into Croatia, but they were not allowed on without a reservation, even though the app said no reservations were required and the train wasn't full.

They booked a bus journey instead but she is now worried that she will hit the same problem with later trips.  Her itinerary includes high speed trains between Villach-Salzburg on Wednesday and Salzburg-Frankfurt and Frankfurt-Brussels next Sunday (she has a reservation for Brussels-London).

Again, the app says no reservations are required but might could this be changed leaving them stranded the last minute again?

Angelo 1 year ago

@Hawkshaw please provide us more informations about the train

But it should be the EC train to Ljubljana and Vienna. From Trieste no direct trains to croatia. This trains needs a fee of 2,60€ to use it on the small italian section. But should be possible to pay it on board of the train (with a small fee on top). 

Maybe the train was to full, this happens a lot during summer and also trains with optional reservation needs a reservation to be sure that you can get on it. Always check the websites/apps of the train companies that runs the train to know if the train is on time or will be full.

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This indeed happens here and there now and then (could daughter not post herself?) and probably has to do that railways know far more as ignorant 1st time travellers: f.e. that those empty seats were all REServed from next stop Inside Slovenija.

For the above trips: I would DEF advise to RES the ICE train to BRU-via bahn.com, but also be advised that these trains on this line are very often cancelled-at the very last minute (train broke) so that even a RES will not work/help out. Anjd ask whilst in ZAG (as it can only be done there) about the direct trains-depends on whcih one- to Austria

ON the routes in between mostly its ev hour a train-so ALT is easy enough.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Angelo Do you have any info about the train from Trieste to Croatia?

Badge

Strange to here about that train from Trieste to Ljubljana. I took it a few weeks ago and didn’t have a reservation, neither did other traveler's I spoke. On that they almost every passenger was a backpacker and using interrail. Very few locals. It’s jointly operated by Italians and Slovenian’s we switched at the border to a Slovenian train. It’s marked as one journey in planners however.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Hawkshaw please provide us more informations about the train

But it should be the EC train to Ljubljana and Vienna. From Trieste no direct trains to croatia. This trains needs a fee of 2,60€ to use it on the small italian section. But should be possible to pay it on board of the train (with a small fee on top). 

Maybe the train was to full, this happens a lot during summer and also trains with optional reservation needs a reservation to be sure that you can get on it. Always check the websites/apps of the train companies that runs the train to know if the train is on time or will be full.

Yes it was the Trieste to Ljubljana train.  They planned to change at Pivka to travel onto Rijeca.  The train wasn't even close to full and they weren't given a chance to pay the extra fee which they knew nothing about. I think the official was just on a power trip.  She said he was quite unpleasant to them.

As it happens, the direct bus from Trieste to Rijeca worked out quite well instead.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Hawkshaw we would need more informations about the train, because there are local trains Trieste-Ljubljana wich can not be even be reserved and the EC Eurocity wich has an optional reservation (with a fee for interrail). So we can contact right people to investigate about this. Should not happen.

Thanks @Angelo it was EC 135

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Claudi. @Marion 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hiya @Hawkshaw I'm sorry to read of your daughter's experience. We would be happy to investigate this for your. Could you please get in touch with our customer service team with the exact journey and train details? Thanks! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I'd be inclined to claim the price for the bus tickets back from Interrail customer service.

There's no mandatory reservation and the app doesn’t show any supplement to be paid.

The ÖBB website indeed does show a €2.60 fee but they should hide it so well if they expect pass holders to pay it.