Solved

ÖBB (railjet) reservations availability for interrailpass holders?

• 20 July 2022
  • 6 replies

Hi everyone, 

Does anyone know if the ÖBB (railjet) reservations for interrail pass holders are limited the same way for instance Eurostar reservations are? Can I just book a reservation on the ÖBB main homepage or am I bound to the interrail website?

Background: For some reason booking a seat doesn't work with the interrail website, I wpuld have to book it at a ticket machine of the departure station. I am only in said city for a shortish transfer time and don't particularly fancy stranding there in the middle of this extreme heatwave. Depending on my chances of not being taken on board I would want to readjust my travel plans.

Thanks for your help!

Edit: Sorry for the "??" in the title, that was lazy editing. Can't be changed retroactively. I am not mad, I promise!

icon

Best answer by mcadv 20 July 2022, 14:55

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No, it is unlimited=as long as seats are there-and in fact its not Mandatory, just optional. Though it has happened on very busy days/times, that pax without any RES were asked to leave train and use next one. Its 3 € on the OeBB site.-it says to print, but for just RES this is not needed really. This is for INland Austria and for also MOST=not all trips going out of AT.

Posted in the wrong place- deleting comment to avoid splitting up the answers.

No, it is unlimited=as long as seats are there-and in fact its not Mandatory, just optional. Though it has happened on very busy days/times, that pax without any RES were asked to leave train and use next one. Its 3 € on the OeBB site.-it says to print, but for just RES this is not needed really. This is for INland Austria and for also MOST=not all trips going out of AT.

Sorry- I messed up my answer. Will post again so you see it for sure:

Thank you for your help! Unfortunately, the train I was going to take runs from Budapest to Vienna, so not inside Austria. The rail planner sais reservations are requiered on this leg, though I am not sure if they are capped in any other way than train capacity- do you happen to know this? Thank you again for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

No also on the route Budapest-Vienna reservations are optional on Railjet and Eurocity trains. But check scotty.oebb.at if the train will be full. So you can think about to buy a reservation or not. Via ÖBB a reservation cost 3€. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

If you travel only Budapest-Vienna I wouldn’t make a reservation…It can get very full, but I traveled this route more than 80 times (mostly on weekends) and had to pay one time for first class (Budapest-Heygeshalom) as second was full and one time there were a lot of people standing. Beside the train was usually busy but I always found some place.
If you want one, then buy only Budapest-Hegyeshalom. It will be cheaper (maybe 1,5 euro) and you will still have your seat until Vienna. Buy the reservation via MAV

If you travel only Budapest-Vienna I wouldn’t make a reservation…It can get very full, but I traveled this route more than 80 times (mostly on weekends) and had to pay one time for first class (Budapest-Heygeshalom) as second was full and one time there were a lot of people standing. Beside the train was usually busy but I always found some place.
If you want one, then buy only Budapest-Hegyeshalom. It will be cheaper (maybe 1,5 euro) and you will still have your seat until Vienna. Buy the reservation via MAV

Thank you for your help! This solves it.