Solved

oslo bergen without a reservation??

• 10 July 2023
  • 9 replies

• Right on track
  • 4 replies

Hi

Has anyone taken this train without a reservation when it says it is sold out? VY.no tell me it is up to the conductor of the train, as often people don’t show up. 
can I sit in the restaurant car? Can I board the train anyway? My pass is valid, just no reservation

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 10 July 2023, 11:20

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I haven't tried that yet… Does it indeed say on entur.no or vy.no that the train is full? The booking page on interrail.eu can't always be trusted.

Yes it does, although I could buy a full price ticket from Rail Ninja, so assume there’s some leeway . And it’s only 2 days away

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You could also check if you can get reservations for different parts of the route. There may be free seats here and there but not the same seat for the whole journey.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yes it does, although I could buy a full price ticket from Rail Ninja, so assume there’s some leeway . And it’s only 2 days away

Rail Ninja and any of their associated URLs shouldn’t be used, ever.

They are not a legitimate sales channel for any railway in Europe and are not to be trusted.

Thanks! Your suggestion of looking to split the reservation has proved (partially) successful so I think I’ll be ok! Thanks very much !

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Some years ago it was OK to board the train without a reservation but nowadays the reservations are really mandatory (except for some short parts like from maybe Bergen to Myrdal) and there would be a fine or they throw you from the train...

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Some years ago it was OK to board the train without a reservation but nowadays the reservations are really mandatory (except for some short parts like from maybe Bergen to Myrdal) and there would be a fine or they throw you from the train...

As natural conditions are rather hostile between Voss and Hønefoss most of the year (on the Hardangervidda and mountains) getting kicked out of the train mid-route is rare. They would only do it between Voss/Myrdal and Bergen, and Oslo and Hønefoss.

It’s not uncommon that hikers, cabin-Norwegians,… board the train and pay their ticket without reservation somewhere along the rather remote stations the route,  pay their ticket to the conductor sit in the café car (when the train is full) until the next station where they can take a local (reservation free) train, or sometimes bus to their destinations.

But @Kptr to risk it for the entire route, I wouldn’t do. It won’t work if you board in Oslo presuming to do the whole lenght of the journey.

Is your travel date 13/07? There still seems availability on the 16:26 train from Oslo to Bergen. Book a seat via www.entur.no (chat, mail, or call) or at the ticket offices in Oslo.

Asking the conductior is always a possibility, there’s always a chance of no shows etc, but expect to pay more.

Hi

Thanks. I’ve just disembarked:) I booked a reservation to Geilo, so boarding was fine. And very quiet at Oslo. The conductor was super friendly. He said it was likely to be busy from Geilo but I could always sit in the cafeteria if no seats:) I had to move seat at Geilo when a large group got on, but found another spare seat anyway:) all good 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Good to hear they’re still quite flexible about it 😀.

On Norwegian trains they usually are very chill about those things, good thing that that didn’t really change after the recent privatisation. Thank you for sharing the experience and enjoy the rest of your trip!