Solved

Outbound overnight journey with stops and trains not showing in planner

• 27 March 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi Folks,
I am a first time interrail traveller and I am facing an issue when planning my trip. Appreciate all the help :)

I am planning to travel to Copenhagen from Munich (then to Norway and Sweden). I plan to start my trip from Munich on 6th april 2023 and reach Copenhagen on 7th april. I am facing two issues.
1) To go to Copenhagen, the fastest route is via Hamburg. When I search in the rail planner app, the app is showing connections through Hamburg but with multiple changes. There is a train (IC3) which takes ~5 hours and is direct from Hamburg to Copenhagen, but it isn't showing up in interrail planner (even when I am searching a single trip from Hamburg to Copenhagen). This train is mentioned in interrail website under the danish trains section also on other websites. How can I add this train journey to my pass?

2) As I mentioned, my journey starts on 6th April 2023 at 11pm from Munich. Since it's my residence country this journey will utilize an outbound journey. But since I have to take another train from Hamburg(also in Germany my residence country) to Copenhagen on next day (7th), but is part of the same outbound journey, will it be counted as 2 home country journeys? Especially since rail planner is not able to show the connection I require from Hamburg to Copenhagen, how can I make sure that both these journeys are counted under the same outbound journey? 

I searched the community forum, but couldn't find an answer for the issue. 

icon

Best answer by jmaverick 29 March 2023, 12:36

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

A day is from 00.01 - 23.59, any train you take that starts before midnight counts towards that day, any train you take that starts from your boarding station after midnight counts for the next day’s travel.

If you take a train late in Germany late on the 6th and another in Germany early on the 7th then you will be using 2 days and both your allowed home country days.

6 April is running into the easter weekend so it will be very busy.

It appears the regular Hamburg - Copenhagen schedule is disrupted on the 6 April from afternoon onwards which is why you are not seeing the direct trains you want, they do not show on DB planner either.

Hi Folks,
I am a first time interrail traveller and I am facing an issue when planning my trip. Appreciate all the help :)

I am planning to travel to Copenhagen from Munich (then to Norway and Sweden). I plan to start my trip from Munich on 6th april 2023 and reach Copenhagen on 7th april. I am facing two issues.
1) To go to Copenhagen, the fastest route is via Hamburg. When I search in the rail planner app, the app is showing connections through Hamburg but with multiple changes. There is a train (IC3) which takes ~5 hours and is direct from Hamburg to Copenhagen, but it isn't showing up in interrail planner (even when I am searching a single trip from Hamburg to Copenhagen). This train is mentioned in interrail website under the danish trains section also on other websites. How can I add this train journey to my pass?

Am 7. April sind Bauarbeiten und es verkehren keine durchgehenden Züge. Es gibt einen Schienersatzverkehr per Bus von Hamburg (ZOB) bis Nykøbing (viereinhalb Stunden) und von dort per Zug bis Kopenhagen. Benutzt übrigens wohl die Fähre wie früher der Zug, durchaus eine interessante Fahrt.

2) As I mentioned, my journey starts on 6th April 2023 at 11pm from Munich. Since it's my residence country this journey will utilize an outbound journey. But since I have to take another train from Hamburg(also in Germany my residence country) to Copenhagen on next day (7th), but is part of the same outbound journey, will it be counted as 2 home country journeys? Especially since rail planner is not able to show the connection I require from Hamburg to Copenhagen, how can I make sure that both these journeys are counted under the same outbound journey? 

Du verbrauchst damit beide Fahrttage im Heimatland (in jedem Fall, auch wenn es einen durchgehenden Zug gäbe) und hast damit keinen mehr für eine eventuelle Heimfahrt übrig. Für die Fahrten im Heimatland gelten dieselben Regeln wie für einzelne Fahrtage.

Falls du den Nacht-ICE um 23 Uhr nehmen wolltest, könntest du das umgehen, wenn du stattdessen den um 00.01 ab München nimmst (bedeutet halt eine spätere Ankunft in Kopenhagen, wobei ich aber eh nicht unbedingt davon ausgehen würde, dass der Umstieg vom ICE bei Ankunft um 6.42 Uhr auf den Bus bei Abfahrt um 6.50 Uhr klappt).

I searched the community forum, but couldn't find an answer for the issue. 

Am 7. April sind Bauarbeiten und es verkehren keine durchgehenden Züge. Es gibt einen Schienersatzverkehr per Bus bis Nykøbing und von dort per Zug bis Kopenhagen.

Ach so! Thanks for the response. Where can I see this information, DB?

Am 7. April sind Bauarbeiten und es verkehren keine durchgehenden Züge. Es gibt einen Schienersatzverkehr per Bus bis Nykøbing und von dort per Zug bis Kopenhagen.

Ach so! Thanks for the response. Where can I see this information, DB?

It’s from DB.

For anybody facing similar issues in the future, here is the response I got from the customer service:

To answer your first question, if the connection appears in the planner in the website or the train is covered by the pass then you can manually add each leg of the journey in the pass and generate a ticket, even if it doesn't appear in the planner in the app.

Secondly, you can take as many trains as you need to complete the outbound journey withing the day but you are not allowed to make any more trips within your country. So to sum it up, if all the trains you take complete the journeys within 24 hours its fine, as what it counts is the departure time and not the arrival time so it won't use more than one travel day.

When you create a journey, you need to add every station the train will pass. So if the journey does not appear in the railplanner then search it in the planner in the website and add manually all of it. If you are unsure on how to do it, you can let me know the date, time and destinations and I will search it.

As for the second question, if the departure time is after midnight, then you will need to add another day, as the new departure time is needed. A travel day lasts from midnight to midnight. So, if you wish to complete the journey within one day, I advise to travel as earlier as possible.