Solved

Outside of summer season, it is possible to book reservations spontaneously? Is there an exception to inbound/outbound rule for transition countries?

• 5 March 2022
  • 4 replies

Hey Interrailers,

I am planning to do an Europe Trip with roughly this route: Berlin-Vienna-Prague-Budapest-Ljubljana-Florence-Rome-Naples-Nicce-Barcelona-Paris-Amsterdam-Copenhagen

I have two questions concerning my Interrail Trip:

The first one is about reservations. I am planning to do the trip during March to May and I am pretty sure that it won´t be such a big issue to make reservations for various trains spontaneously e.g. at the train stations (mainly Italy, Spain and France as reservations are most of the time obligatory in these countries). As I a not travelling during summer, it is possbile to book reservations spontaneously as trains are not that busy during off-season/spring am I right? Nevertheless, I  have read a lot about the problem that sometimes reservartions need to be printed out and this would be quite difficult to do if you are already in another country. Sadly, I found no answer to that question:)

The second one is about the outbound/inbound rule: I planned to visit Copenhagen as my last destination. I want to go from Amsterdam to Copenhagen, but then I realized that the only way is logically through Germany. This would mean that I have to pay the trains from Germany to Copenhagen (and back to Germany) seperately as I already used the Outbound trip to leave Germany and the Inbound Trip to travel from  Amsterdam to Germany or is there any exception rule as Germany is only a transition country that I visit to get to Denmark? 

I am doing such a trip for the first time and I have the impression, that as more as I think about it, the more questions concerning the trip come to my head .

Thank you for your help

Greetings,

Lennart

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 5 March 2022, 20:15

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I am planning to do an Europe Trip with roughly this route: Berlin-Vienna-Prague-Budapest-Ljubljana-Florence-Rome-Naples-Nicce-Barcelona-Paris-Amsterdam-Copenhagen

I am planning to do the trip during March to May and I am pretty sure that it won´t be such a big issue to make reservations for various trains spontaneously e.g. at the train stations (mainly Italy, Spain and France as reservations are most of the time obligatory in these countries). As I a not travelling during summer, it is possbile to book reservations spontaneously as trains are not that busy during off-season/spring am I right?

For most trains yes, except for the TGV/AVE to Barcelona. There are not a lot of trains and they all have a limited number of seats for pass holders. Even off-season, they can be sold out a week or more in advance. In addition, this reservation is only available on paper and Italian railways apparently can't make it. German railways can, however. You can also travel via Portbou, so you don’t need this reservation.

The second one is about the outbound/inbound rule: I planned to visit Copenhagen as my last destination. I want to go from Amsterdam to Copenhagen, but then I realized that the only way is logically through Germany. This would mean that I have to pay the trains from Germany to Copenhagen (and back to Germany) seperately as I already used the Outbound trip to leave Germany and the Inbound Trip to travel from  Amsterdam to Germany or is there any exception rule as Germany is only a transition country that I visit to get to Denmark? 

You can only use 2 of your travel days in your country of residence. If you need more days, then check normal prices and use interrail for the 2 most expensive ones and buy a normal ticket for the rest.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You did not clearly state where you live, my assumption is Berlin? Sparpreis tix on bahn or cd.cz to Praha can be had from 19,99. FLIXbus often even cheaper.

I really appreciate your help:) Thank you

But is it possible to e.g. activate the pass and then book tickets for certain trains seperately?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You did not clearly state where you live, my assumption is Berlin? Sparpreis tix on bahn or cd.cz to Praha can be had from 19,99. FLIXbus often even cheaper.

Avoid flixbus on that route if i had to travel by bus this Route i prefer Regiojet more comfort and often a Service Steward ;)