Solved

Panoramic Express from Interlaken Ost to Luzern

• 19 September 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi all. Thank God for this community, we almost finished on planning and reserving our first family eurail trip.

We plan to travel from Interlaken Ost to Zurich on November 15th via Luzern with the Panoramic Express (PE) 0904am. However, Railplanner, SBB and OEBB showed that there is no direct PE train to Luzern on our travel date. 

The train will stop at Meiringen, and we must take replacement bus from there to Giswil, and board the train again from Giswil to Zurich. We checked on SBB website, this is due to:

Interrupted service Giswil - Meiringen

Interrupted rail services between Giswil and Meiringen.
This is due to engineering work.”

My questions are:

Would be it be worth it to choose this PE2919, which require us to take bus half way? Do we need to make or pay another reservation for the bus? Then the PE2919 from Giswil to Luzern, do we need to make and pay another reservation?

We really want to try Panoramic Express, but  we wonder if we took the PE, we won’t be relaxed to enjoy the scenic view considering that Interlaken Ost to Meiringen is only 31m, then we need to rush to take bus, and Giswil to Luzern is only 34m. Worried my son will get carsick on the bus 😅

Or, could we enjoy the same view if we take regular IC train to Luzern?

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 19 September 2023, 12:49

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s only a short section that you’ll miss. I’m afraid I can’t remember how picturesque that section was! I seem to remember the section west of Interlaken was the most beautiful.

On the plus side, the Swiss rail-bus connections will be flawless, so you don’t need to worry there. But on the negative side, it’s a long journey with three connections, vs direct on the Intercity.

You won’t need a reservation for the bus, and you don’t need a reservation for the train in the regular cars, only the panoramic car.

It’s only a short section that you’ll miss. I’m afraid I can’t remember how picturesque that section was! I seem to remember the section west of Interlaken was the most beautiful.

The west of Interlaken, is it before Meiringen?

On the plus side, the Swiss rail-bus connections will be flawless, so you don’t need to worry there. But on the negative side, it’s a long journey with three connections, vs direct on the Intercity.

You won’t need a reservation for the bus, and you don’t need a reservation for the train in the regular cars, only the panoramic car.

Regular cars here does it mean IC trains? 

Also, if i do reserve, so i must reserve separately? First reserve Interlaken Ost - Meiringen, then make another reservation for Giswil - Luzern?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

West of Interlaken - sorry, I meant the section of the line between Interlaken and Montreux, not the part you’re taking. I could be misremembering though! The whole line is very scenic all the way through.

Regular cars - no, I mean this same train carries both Panorama cars with bigger windows and regular cars. You can travel in the regular cars without a reservation. The scenery’s the same!

If you do decide to reserve, I’m pretty sure the reservation would include both sections of train as long as you reserve Interlaken-Luzern.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I'm not even sure you can book this train. I wouldn't bother anyway. All trains have big windows ("panorama carriages").

Every bit of that journey is scenic even under the fog (expected in November). I would definitely take that route even with a rail replacement bus, it's a very straightforward change.

If you've got time take the boat on Lake Brienz or Lake Thun (included in Eurail).

I'm not even sure you can book this train. I wouldn't bother anyway. All trains have big windows ("panorama carriages").

Every bit of that journey is scenic even under the fog (expected in November). I would definitely take that route even with a rail replacement bus, it's a very straightforward change.

If you've got time take the boat on Lake Brienz or Lake Thun (included in Eurail).

Ok we will definitely take this panoramic train.

Unfortunately, according to their website, the boat on these 2 lake will not be operating on 16 Nov, is that correct?

Eurail website is showing we could reserve. But price is unavailable for Interlaken Ost - Meiringen.

And somehow price is available for Giswil - Luzern. Anybody please advise whether there is another website to reserve the panoramic express. We prefer to reserve as we travel as family.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The Swiss railway website shows that you can’t reserve that train, even if I enter the legs separately. And I guess that means nobody else can.

https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/seat-reservations.html

I’m not sure where Eurail is getting their availability, but you’ll have to get the reservations posted to you, and it sounds like an expensive and clumsy process.

I really wouldn’t worry about finding available seats - especially in November.  You can also ask at the station once you’re in Switzerland, but I wouldn’t bother.