Solved

Paper Ticket Status Delivery Failed - (Ticket from Montpellier to Madrid)

• 31 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi, my paper tickets for the journey from Montpellier to Madrid did not arrive in the mail. PostNL status indicates that delivery has failed on 21 Oct, after reaching a Switzerland sorting centre, with no further updates thereafter. I contacted swiss post which told me they do not have the location of the item, and I need to tell the sender to raise an enquiry with postNL. 

I am waiting for a reply from postNL and Eurail on what to do next. 

In the meantime, I was hoping to draw on the advise from the community on what to do. I travel in around 2 weeks time. Unfortunately It's only after facing such problems that I read many comments in the community warning about buying paper tickets.

My questions are

1. Should I request to cancel and refund my tickets, then quickly book a new one?

2. If I book a new ticket, should I do it through eurail again and hope it goes through this time?

3. If I'm in switzerland, am I able to visit a swiss ticket office (as mentioned by Rgvborgt in a guide) to buy a ticket? Also, will the ticket be the full cost, or will i only pay the reservation fee? Do I show my eurail pass to the ticket office so that I only pay a reservation fee?

Many thanks in advance

- a stressed traveller

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 31 October 2022, 14:00

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

For what date is this journey?

In Switzerland (and Germany and France) you can buy a reservation only at the ticket office, without any added fees. But the number of seats available to pass holders is limited, so you shouldn't wait too long to book.

Hi, it is for the date of 18 Nov. 

Sorry, Is there a way to book while in Italy? Because I am currently in Italy and will not reach Switzerland until 5 Nov.

Also in this case will the best way be to immediately request for the ticket cancellation and refund from eurail, wait for their confirmation and then go to a ticket office to book?

Thanks for your reply :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You should not cancel the ticket yourself as that will most likely not give you a full refund of the reservation cost. You need to raise a request with Customer Support and explain what has happened and ask for a 100% refund of the cost of the reservation.

Please use the form below to contact them.

https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi, it is for the date of 18 Nov. 

Sorry, Is there a way to book while in Italy? Because I am currently in Italy and will not reach Switzerland until 5 Nov.

5 November could still be OK but 18 Nov. is on a Friday and Fridays are always busier so pass holder seats sell out faster. Currently, reservations are still available.

I doubt if Trenitalia can sell this reservation but you can always ask at a ticket office. Price should be €35 in 2nd class or €49 in 1st class.

Alternatively, you can call SNCF (reservations are sent via email) or SBB (pick up your reservation when you come to Switzerland) as explained here:

Thanks for the replies. I will request eurail for a refund and try booking by phoning sncf.