Solved

Paris connection now too tight

• 6 September 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

What can I do in this situation?

We are travelling from London to Geneva via Paris in October.

We initially had a 79 minute changeover in Paris, where we had to get from Gare du Nord to Gare De Lyon (by the RER) - plenty of time.

Eurostar have just written to us and changed our departure time from London, putting it back 30 mins, and with slightly longer travel times, we now have a 40 minute connection time.

I tend to be pretty blase about these sort of things, but even I’m a bit nervous about making the connection on time.

Am I able to request a change to an earlier train out of London to ensure we make the connection (at no cost)? We’re 6 weeks out from travel.

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 6 September 2023, 17:17

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There is surely a contact option in the email. I'd contact Eurostar, they'll probably help (as long as there are remaining seats on the earlier train of course).

40 min is certainly doable but if possible I'd prefer more time. You can buy your RER ticket onboard the Eurostar to save time. Let's say 10 min to the RER platform including some waiting time, 10 min RER journey, 10 min to the TGV track.

Badge

There is surely a contact option in the email. I'd contact Eurostar, they'll probably help (as long as there are remaining seats on the earlier train of course).

You’d think so, but not by the looks of it!

Hello.

We’ve had to make some changes to the timings of your Eurostar journey XXXX on XXXXXXXXXX to Paris Gare du Nord due to engineering works (booking reference XXXXXX).

Your train will now be leaving later from London St Pancras Int'l at XX:XX
and will be arriving in Paris Gare du Nord at XX:XX.

Important: please check online for the recommended station arrival time. Your tickets and online booking information may not show your new travel details yet. Please download them within 48 hours of departure for new timing information. You can also check train times on the Live Travel Information page 24 hours before departure.

We apologise for any inconvenience and hope that the change doesn’t affect your plans too much.

The Eurostar Team

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yeah I'd have thought so…

First try to change your booking on eurostar.com with the booking reference. Maybe the usual 15€ fee per person has been waived... (unlikely but worth the try)

Afterwards either contact them on social media or find their contact page on the website : hard to find, I could only find the French version !

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I contacted Eurostar recently (though not about the same issue, just a timetable query) using this form: https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/contact-us/eurostar-contact-details

and got a reply from this email: contactus@eurostar.com 

I messaged them on twitter as well and I think that got a slightly quicker response. 

Badge

First try to change your booking on eurostar.com with the booking reference. Maybe the usual 15€ fee per person has been waived... (unlikely but worth the try)

Afterwards either contact them on social media or find their contact page on the website : hard to find, I could only find the French version !

Eurostar simply told us to contact Eurail as thats who we made the booking through.

This is disappointing as this is a Eurostar generated change. They wrote to us directly, yet they won’t even consider an alternative request related to the same change.