Solved

Paris to Barcelona first class reservation with second class pass

• 19 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Hey y’all, thanks for your help. I’m trying to get from Paris to Barcelona on Wednesday Feb 21. There’s one direct train that isn’t sold out yet, but seems the only ticket left are first class. I have a EUrail global second class pass.

I’ve read on similar questions in the community that France/SCNF sometimes allows people to pay the first class reservation fee as an upgrade and it’s fine even if you have a second class pass. But I’ve also read that basically I’d be riding without a valid ticket, so I haven’t bought anything yet. Rather urgent though, since I think this is the last ticket available. 

Any advice? I could go to Gare du Lyon tomorrow and ask in person. It’s difficult for me to call because I don’t have a valid phone number right now, but I can figure out how to if needed. 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 19 February 2024, 23:18

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There are upgrades available (for domestic journeys at least) but the price is quite high on long distances. The regular 35€ reservation won’t be enough. Expect a big fine onboard and/or get thrown off the train so don’t do that.

Now don’t worry : there are plenty of options to get to Barcelona, even if the direct trains are sold out. Regional trains from Montpellier via Portbou, AVE from Lyon, etc.

I’ll update this post.

Option 1 (same train, different units) :

• TGV Paris Gare de Lyon - Perpignan 09:42 - 15:02 20€
  • TGV Perpignan - Barcelona-Sants 15:09 - 16:31 25€

This is the easiest but also most expensive option. Change carriages during the stop in Perpignan, plenty of time as they uncouple an unit.

Option 2 :

• TGV Paris Gare de Lyon - Lyon Part-Dieu 11:00 - 12:56 or 11:52 - 13:56 10€
  • AVE Lyon Part-Dieu - Barcelona-Sants 14:32 - 19:34 10€

Reservations for the latter train are not available online. You can get them on the platform for 10€ : staff are used to it. There are 67 seats left (according to renfe.com) = plenty enough.

Option 3 :

• TGV Paris Gare de Lyon - Perpignan 06:38 - 12:00 10€
  • TER Perpignan - Portbou 12:56 - 13:46
  • R Portbou - Barcelona-Sants 14:35 - 17:10

Questions welcome.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The direct TGVs on Wednesday are full now. In addition, there's no upgrade reservation possible for this TGV. AFAIK, that's only possible for domestic journeys in France.

Alternatives:

Paris Lyon 6:38 - Perpignan 12:00 €10

Perpignan 12:56 - Portbou 13:46/14:35 Barcelona Sants 17:10 (no reservation)

Paris Lyon 9:42 - Perpignan 15:02 €20

Perpignan 15:09 - Barcelona 16:31 €25 (In Perpignan change to the other part of the train)

Paris Lyon 10:56 - Nîmes Pont du Gard 13:46 €20

Nîmes Pont du Gard 14:00 - Portbou 17:46/19:05 Barcelona Sants 21:40 (no reservation)

Thank you both for your help!! I checked again this morning and I was able to get a second class ticket. One had freed up, so I’m all set now on the direct line. If anything falls through, your listed options are the ones I’m going with. Appreciate it so much!