Solved

Planning my first Interrail trip in Europe and every train says 'seat reservations required, €10'

• 13 April 2022
  • 6 replies

Hi, I’m planning a trip starting in Greece and ending with a few places in Italy, but on the rail planner app when I search for trains every single one (in Italy) says a seat reservation is required from €10? Is this true or can I ignore it? How do I know what kind of train it is, the only info is a code such as ‘FR 9437’?

Also, do you have to book these trains in advance or can you just show up on the day? 

Finally, is there a way to use my Interrail pass to get from Athens to Thessaloniki using one travel day?

Thank you so much!

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 13 April 2022, 18:49

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Long distance trains in Italy need a seat reservation. Intercity trains 3€ and high speed trains 10€.

FR is a Frecciarosa ("red arrow”), the highest class of high speed trains of Trenitalia.

Depending on the length of the journey, there can be reservation-free alternatives using regional trains, some of which also cover quite long distances. Check the Trenitalia website and select "regional” instead of the default "main solutions”. Be aware though that the regional trains for the summer timetable (starting 12 June) have not been published yet.

You can book reservations in advance. Usually a few days is enough or even on the day itself (also at the ticket office), although there's always a risk that a train is full. The best way to book online is via ÖBB using these steps.

Athens - Thessaloniki can easily be done in one day. Check the timetable on the Greek railways website. You will also need a reservation there, which is free of charge, but only available from the ticket office in Greece.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

But DO note that from Thess further on there is hardly any train-line running-certainly as for now not into the next countries: BG or North-Macedonia.

Long distance trains in Italy need a seat reservation. Intercity trains 3€ and high speed trains 10€.

FR is a Frecciarosa ("red arrow”), the highest class of high speed trains of Trenitalia.

Depending on the length of the journey, there can be reservation-free alternatives using regional trains, some of which also cover quite long distances. Check the Trenitalia website and select "regional” instead of the default "main solutions”. Be aware though that the regional trains for the summer timetable (starting 12 June) have not been published yet.

You can book reservations in advance. Usually a few days is enough or even on the day itself (also at the ticket office), although there's always a risk that a train is full. The best way to book online is via ÖBB using these steps.

Athens - Thessaloniki can easily be done in one day. Check the timetable on the Greek railways website. You will also need a reservation there, which is free of charge, but only available from the ticket office in Greece.

Thank you so much for the advice! Do you know when the trenitalia summer timetables for regional trains is usually published?

Also, thanks for the Greece route recommendation, when I click the Greek railways link and choose the route + day (11th June) there is no route for the search, but I’m hoping I can do this closer to the time.

Thank you again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you so much for the advice! Do you know when the trenitalia summer timetables for regional trains is usually published?

Some time in May.

Also, thanks for the Greece route recommendation, when I click the Greek railways link and choose the route + day (11th June) there is no route for the search, but I’m hoping I can do this closer to the time.

I suppose they don't plan to far in advance. But they seem to have the same trains every day if you check dates not so far in the future.

But DO note that from Thess further on there is hardly any train-line running-certainly as for now not into the next countries: BG or North-Macedonia.

That’s okay I discovered this quite early on so booked a cheap flight from Thess to Zagreb to continue interrailing in Croatia before Italy :) 

Some time in May.

I suppose they don't plan to far in advance. But they seem to have the same trains every day if you check dates not so far in the future.

That’s great thank you so much for the info!