Solved

Please Help!!! seat reservation struggles!!

• 13 April 2023
  • 2 replies

Hello Eurail community!  I hope someone is able to help me as I'm really struggling to get the seat reservations I need and now I'm running really behind. My friend and I leave on April 29, 2023, we've purchased the eurail global pass 5days in one mo And need seat reservations from Amsterdam to brussels on May 3rd from Brussels to Paris on May 4th and from Paris to London May 7th. I'm open to departure times  But my goal is to arrive in the next city around 10 AM ish.  When I put the route in on the Eurail app at 1st it gives me the option to book the train reservation but then it quickly turns to say that seat reservations are not available, Which From what I understand is said to mean that reservations for that train are sold out but when I look on the Thalys Website (brussels-paris trains) it shows that there are still train tickets  available for multiple times But it doesn't appear that I  Can book seat reservations on Thalys only the whole ticket... Also why is there More options on how to book train reservations With a paper pass as opposed to a mobile pass? And what exactly is the difference? could I just print my pass out on paper and now it's a paper pass?? Or if it's something that I would need to get sent to me if that means getting easier train reservations by having a paper pass do I still have time to do that? This is my 1st time going to Europe and I'm super excited for my trip I've been spending day-and-night planning it but just keep running into this train planning nightmare...any help is greatly appreciated thank you so much!!!!

icon

Best answer by Al_G 13 April 2023, 22:02

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

There is no difference between mobile and paper passes for reservations.

Amsterdam - Brussels can be done without the need for reservations on the NS Intercity service. These run hourly, a 07.28 from Amsterdam arrives at Brussels Midi at 10.17

Both Thalys Amsterdam - Brussels - Paris and Eurostar Paris - London have quotas for passholders, seats can book out well in advance.

You can see availability and book both routes through this link https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish

You will need a pass cover number which you can get here

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Travelling (over the border to or) in France is quite difficult indeed, especially for the unseasoned train traveller in Europe with a pass.

If reservations Brussels-Paris sell out, there are some alternative options:

• Take regional trains from Brussels to Lille (Fr), from there are plenty of TGV trains with a much lower reservation cost than Thalys. I actually always recommend going that way, is Thalys has very expensive seat reservations and only limited availability.
  • If you have more time, it can be done entirely reservation free. Be going from Brussels over Charleroi and Maubeuge, but that’s only possible 2 or three times a day with smooth connections.

Another Eurostar tip for if reservation should sell out:

• Book a seat on Eurostar asap, if Paris or Brussels sell out, check again via Lille Eurostar availability might be better there. But as it is around a prolonged weekend (1st of May) and just before the coronation, finding availability might be difficult.
  • Ordinary tickets might be very expensive too, so best divert to alternatives if there’s no availability. Like bus, either going by ferry or chunnel. It’ll be much cheaper than a Eurostar ticket.