Solved

Pordenone to Vienna trip reservations/bookings/options confuse me

• 23 December 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I’m not sure what I need to do on this trip and am after a bit of direction.

I have a 1st class Eurail pass and one of the trips I want to do is Pordenone to Vienna on May 2. The planner shows this to be a 6 hour 29 minute trip including a trip on RJ132 high speed train. All the other trips I’ve looked at, and booked, involving high speed train travel cost upwards for 40AUD to reserve a seat. This trip seems to show 3 - 6 Euro depending on the web site and the Eurail site shows it to be free??? It also shows prices for 3 different classes, 1st, 1st Business and 2nd. I’m not sure what it’s trying to tell me.

I thought 1st and 1st business were essentially the same. What do I get for zero, and does the fact that the list includes a price for 2nd class mean that I can downgrade on this leg, even thoughI have already purchased a 1st class pass? I’m very confused!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 23 December 2023, 07:15

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can always downgrade for example if seats are sold out in 1st but not in 2nd (can happen as the 1st class area is sometimes way smaller).

On this route there is a passholder surcharge for the border crossing, ÖBB Italia doesn't want to acknowledge passes and prefers the money, etc. (details)

- 10€ 2nd class

- 15€ 1st class

On the other hand reservations are optional but really recommended. This is a popular train and since you won't be boarding it in Venice (departure point) expect most seats to be taken. But you'll have a reservation so that's not an issue.

Eurail offers both the surcharge and the reservation at the same time but you can't choose a seat.

ÖBB offers both but you have to select them separately. Look for your connection, add Eurail as a discount, choose one-way tickets and select Tarvisio Aufpreisverkehr and click on the reservation box. Reservation free through ÖBB like usual. Seat map available.

Railjet trains have 3 classes (2 main ones) :

- 2nd and 1st as usual

- Business class : valid 1st class ticket/required + 15€ surcharge

1st class is totally fine for this trip unless you want to treat yourselves a little. Pictures : https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/railjet.htm#What_are_railjet_trains_like

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Ok, thanks. I placed the order, paid the fee, downloaded the app and its there. Can I press the Get Ticket button in the app, or should I wait till I get on the train. All the details including seat allocations are showing

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Ignore last question. Got it. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You will be able to use first class lounge in Vienna with your first class pass.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

You will be able to use first class lounge in Vienna with your first class pass.

That sounds like a nice bonus. Is that only when I arrive at Vienna from Pordenone, or will that apply on my next leg a few days later when I head off to Prague? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

That sounds like a nice bonus. Is that only when I arrive at Vienna from Pordenone, or will that apply on my next leg a few days later when I head off to Prague? 

If you have a first class pass this applies even for your Journey Vienna - Prague :)