Solved

Prague to Basel or Bern

• 11 November 2023
  • 2 replies

My son and his best friend (22 and 23) are trying to get from Prague to Basel or Bern on Nov 24, 25, or 26 and eventually to Thun. They have eurail passes. The overnight train looked possible, but when you search Prague to Bern, there’s an issue with the last leg. When I search Prague to Basel, I don’t see the first leg of the prior trip and can’t book it. When I pick other stops, there’s only a paper ticket option, and they’re currently in Lisbon and bouncing around so mailing is not an option. Can they go in person to any train station and pick up a paper ticket?  I’ve searched other trains and there’s one that’s insane—$1300 per ticket. The flight is $500 plus, and I was looking for that over night sleeper experience. 

icon

Best answer by ralderton 11 November 2023, 12:42

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If they have Eurail passes, there’s absolutely no need to pay anything for this journey.

There are several options that don’t need reservations. For example

Prague-Munich 0743 - 1318
Munich-Zurich 1443 - 1827
Zurich-Bern 1902 - 1958 or Zurich-Basel 1859-1953

They don’t need to buy anything or reserve anything. Just add the trains to their pass and find an empty seat. If these trains aren’t showing in your searches, it helps to break the journey down into smaller chunks. You can also search on www.bahn.com for timetables. It’s better than the Eurail planner.

There is availability on the sleeper trains to Zurich on both the 24th and 25th. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

They can book the sleeper train on the ÖBB website.

https://shop.oebbtickets.at/en/ticket

Add a second passenger where it says ‘1 x adult’ and add the Eurail discount to both passengers, then search for ‘one way tickets and day tickets’ from Prague to Zurich.

There are two trains per day, leaving at 1821 and 1826 in the evening. Make sure you choose the direct ones, marked as EN. You should be able to see these trains and the prices for the different types of sleeper in the results.