Question re: reservations in particular sleeper train bookings for group of 4

• 26 January 2024
  • 5 replies

Hi all

We are looking at buying 4 Interrail passes to travel in the summer as a family.

I have some questions in regards to reservations:

1. How do we best make them on trains to ensure we are sat together? 
  2. In particular we are looking at a couple of sleeper trains and need to book 2 x double sleepers so obviously need to be together as two pairs for that?
  3. In order to create a ticket on the app do we have to have a reservation linked to it somehow or can we just add the journeys/trips and do the reservation separately and show that in conjunction with the QR code the app generates?

Thank you

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi all

We are looking at buying 4 Interrail passes to travel in the summer as a family.

I have some questions in regards to reservations:

1. How do we best make them on trains to ensure we are sat together? 
  2. In particular we are looking at a couple of sleeper trains and need to book 2 x double sleepers so obviously need to be together as two pairs for that?
  3. In order to create a ticket on the app do we have to have a reservation linked to it somehow or can we just add the journeys/trips and do the reservation separately and show that in conjunction with the QR code the app generates?

Thank you

1. If you make them together, the 4 seats will be close togeter or in a bay of four. On some railway company websites, you can choose the seats (see link below):
  2. Depends on which sleeper and what category. At which sleepers you’re looking at? For families of 4 a couchette is ideal. Again, if you make reservations for 4 persons together, you’ll be next to or very close to each other.
  3. Reservations are completely seperate from the app. You can make reservations without even having a pass. They’re linked to names, not tickets. In order to travel validly on trains with mandatory reservations, you’ll need to show both the reservation and a valid ticket (your pass, registered for that train you’re taking).

Final note

You might be a bit too early to reserve seats/sleepers for this summer. But you can always check. Most trains will be available 3 months before departure (with some exceptions, mainly in Italy and Spain).

Best get your Eurostar reservations (London-Continent and back) as soon as possible though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Totally agree.

I also want to say that a 4 couchettes compartment will likely be a lot cheaper. Nightjet uses dynamic pricing for Interrail reservations since December 2023. Now double/triple sleepers tend to be very expensive (singles are on another level lol).

Expect to pay 200€ for a whole couchette compartment (not a bad price considering you spend a night travelling) while 2 double sleepers could be well over 400€...

Thanks both for the quick replies

That makes it clear.

We did sleepers last year and had 2 double sleepers which we liked (appreciate that it costs a bit more than a couchette) and just wanted to make sure we got the same this time- so sounds like we can book those separately on the OBB website.  And yes not booking those just yet as they aren’t booking too far ahead I believe due to engineering works.

Thanks again

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

ÖBB/Nightjet is clearly the best place to book yes. The overview is clear and you'll get berth numbers before checkout and there is a message if you're not together (for whatever reason). No fees too.

I'd book as soon as tickets/reservations are released as night trains are quite popular + the price quickly increases with dynamic pricing!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Some Nightjets and ENs can be booked up to 6 months in advance, so some night trains this summer can already be booked.