Solved

Questions about Eurostar

• 5 February 2024
  • 17 replies

I'm looking at the trains for February 18th leaving Brussels Midi for London St Pancras and there is only 1 timetable in the morning.However, when I look at other Sundays, there are other times... Ex. February 11thIs it a holiday? Is there a possibility that schedules will have reservations in a few days?I’m a Global Pass 2nd class

icon

Best answer by Hektor 5 February 2024, 07:10

View original

17 replies

Just the 8.51 is not sold out that day in 2nd class.

In 1st class there are two more connections available. 

There's a passholder quota and you are just too late.

Normally there are no reservations coming back.

Got it, thank you very much for the clarification.Taking advantage of the topic, the same is happening for Venice St Lucia to Rome Termini on February 24th at 6pm.Could you tell me the reason? Could it be due to the quota of people who use a pass?

@Hektor 

Got it, thank you very much for the clarification.Taking advantage of the topic, the same is happening for Venice St Lucia to Rome Termini on February 24th at 6pm.Could you tell me the reason? Could it be due to the quota of people who use a pass?

Italian trains do not have a quota. For this train it's not even possible to book a normal ticket.

Last Frecce 10.26, last slow IC 11.34. 

There's a night train, too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Seems a bit weird that all these trains are sold out… but maybe people are coming back from a ski week in the Alps.

If you wish to travel later you could take this .italo high-speed train (not included in Eurail) :

- 17:05 - 21:05 70€ Smart (2nd class), 73€ Prima (1st)

Maybe a bit expensive but you'd save a pass day and be able to leave later. :)

Also possible to take a regional train as far as Bologna (14€) and then an .italo train for Rome (50-50€).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

No trains between 24/2 noon and 25/2 noon can currently be booked. I'd guess there are engineering works and the timetable is still not final.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I was thinking that too but then .italo is currently selling trains for that date and a few are fully booked between Bologna and Rome.

But for sure it would be unusual that Executive or Business is all sold out...

Do you think it's risky to wait up to a few days to buy tickets on the Eurail website or should I give up and buy directly on the Eurostar and ItaloTreno websites?

I would be very grateful if you could give your opinions, it's my first time in Europe.

I need to go to Rome from Venice on the 24th and I need to leave Brussels and go to London on the 18th, if there is no way to book via Eurail, I will need to go to the train website.

What I mean is: would it be an error on the Eurail website on days when I need to be exhausted?

Because there is availability days before or after my date, this is so sad that it seems like a system error.

@thibcabe @rvdborgt @Hektor 

What I mean is: would it be an error on the Eurail website on days when I need to be exhausted?

Because there is availability days before or after my date, this is so sad that it seems like a system error.

Why should there be a system error on the Eurail website? It’s not possible to book anywhere else, too.

And if you need to go, what’s not to like with the possible connections? Bruxelles to London at 8.51 has availability and it’s the last train that is not sold out for passholder. If you need to go that day, you should book this one. 

Venezia to Roma at 10.26 has availability. It’s a good daytime connection. If you need to go that day, why not book it? For this one, you may wait if you need to go later, because here it looks like the trains in the afternoon are just not bookable yet. But of course there's a risk when doing so.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I agree with Hektor. You should book the last Eurostar remaining as soon as possible. There is a passholder quota and trains can sell out weeks in advance on this popular route.

You're lucky that there's a seat left on that day, weekends are the busiest period!

Now for Venice - Rome I'd wait a few days if you must take an afternoon train. There will always be .italo trains left in case if Trenitalia is really sold out (unlikely).

I'm sorry, I failed to inform you that I can only access it from 4:30 pm on both days.

I understand what you mean, thank you for trying to help, I will buy the tickets directly through the website.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Venice - Rome : not a big issue. Wait a few days to see if Trenitalia trains appear. Otherwise book an .italo train at that point. No need to do it right now.

Brussels - London : this on the other hand is problematic. If possible travel earlier that day or early the following morning with a 30€ Eurail passholder reservation (a night in Brussels will be cheap).

Otherwise choose between a full-fare Eurostar ticket (165£) or an evening Brussels Airlines flight for 108€ + luggage, etc. (last-minute solution)

Great! Thanks for all advices guys!

@thibcabe 

I'm laughing so I don't cry lol

I went to see if I still had a ticket to Venice > Rome on .italo and it's only in the morning now, magically all the afternoon routes disappeared

And Trenitalia still has no timetable both on the website and on Eurail.

Do you know of any other railway lines that cover this route?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes they've been removed from the planner. This further hints at engineering works as it's impossible that all trains are sold out exactly between Saturday midday and Sunday midday while trains before and after have plenty of seats.

Wait a few more days and I'm confident trains will reappear, probably with longer travel times than usual if they are diverted/can't use the high-speed line for a bit.

Trenitalia (or RFI) could do better...

Userlevel 1

If you possess an Interrail pass, you can secure your seat through the Belgian train connection here:
 https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish