Solved

reservation from milano to cologne

• 30 April 2023
  • 10 replies

Badge +1

Hi we are 4 ppl with 1st eurail ticket and i am trying to make reservations  from milano to cologne .

Which  platform  I should  go for cheaper reservations  booking fee? Tq

icon

Best answer by Angelo 30 April 2023, 17:40

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi, you will travel via Switzerland, you could avoid the italia part and taking a local train (RE - Regional Express) to Domodossola (if the train runs via Brig and Bern to Basel) or you take a local train (Regional Express) via Chaisso to Lugano and from there IC21 to Basel SBB or IC2/EC to Zürich HB. From Basel or Zürich take the first train to north. Some trains (ICE or EC) will go directly to Cologne. Some others you have to change near Frankfurt (Main).

Check bahn.com for the best route.

Reservation: optional in Switzerland and Germany. If you book for the Swiss and German part via bahn.com you pay only 4,50 EUR/person instead of Eurails 8 EUR/seat (if you change train you need to pay for next. At DB you pay for all trains one price per person).

You can also travel with the EC from Milan to Zürich or Basel SBB, but to use it in Italy you need a reservation. This cost 15 EUR/seat in 1st class or 11 EUR/seat in 2nd class. Bookable via ÖBB oebb.at choosing the one way option and Interrail/Eurail as discount.

Badge +1

Hi I don't really know how to make bookings ,dp don't have option  for eurail pass? Where to fill for eurail pass holder?

Tq

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

On DB website/app you just select “seat only” option on the initial search page, there is no ability or need to add Eurail pass.

OBB is the opposite, pass should be added for every person and tickets searched for not seat only.

Badge +1

Angelo# I  can't really  like db as app always  change language  which unconvince. BTW if I  follow Yr method  from milano- cologne, the train ice from basel only need for reservations right? How do I control tht I will not going to miss the ice?,  as the earlier  ec boarding with qr code( i need to key in every station qr in app right?) . without  reservations do we get t seat while boarding?i use 1st class eurail ticket, so ec also will allocate to 1st class seat? Sorry  for many questions  ! Eurail pass look easy but it actually  complicated with the different  train operator!

Al_G# I use obb but it shown some ec seat not include or invalid . What tht mean?

From milano to cologne is a long journey,  I do hope can find ways  to get a correct  train .tq 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

1st class optional reservations are free of charge on tickets.oebb.at or in the ÖBB app. Reservations in Switzerland and Germany are optional.

Milano-Basel is €13 in 1st class; reservations are mandatory in the EC trains from/to Italy.

To get these reservations, add the Interrail/Eurail discount for all passengers and then choose "One-way tickets”. Select 1st class in a second step.

ÖBB often have difficulties to book reservations for multiple trains in one go. Then you'll see the remark "Ticket for section only”. In that case, book the trains separately.

Badge +1

Angelo# hi ofter 2 day  study db & obb, trenitalia, sbb, as well eurail planner. I still try to understand  and app abit complicated to me. And now i understand  your mean why to take re train from milano Centrale ( buy from obb? Trenitalia?with eurail global pass? Pls advice)  To train station in border (chiasso)Switzerland and from here i should be easily continue  journey  to cologne.

rvdborgt# many thanks for given many  advice. 

Al_G# I still  in confusing  both app. It not friendly app.

Kindly advise me how to depart from milano  to chiasso  without any reservation fee. Tq n tq

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It is simple, you take an RE train on to Chiasso and beyont.

RE trains start every hour in Milano Centrale and go to Locarno via Chiasso and Lugano. In Lugano you can change to national trains of Switzerland like IC.

RE trains can not be reserved. Hop in the train and find a free seat. IC trains in Switzerland and Germany have only optional reservations. You can but you have not to reserve.

Badge +1

Angelo# just to clarify  ,

1. In eurail planner,  it shown need to pay reservations  €13/pax fro milano to chiasso  . Re suppose  not need reservations right? How I suppose to do? If need to add in  app for My  travel qr pass , with out  eurail planner  how to do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Angelo# just to clarify  ,

1. In eurail planner,  it shown need to pay reservations  €13/pax fro milano to chiasso  . Re suppose  not need reservations right? How I suppose to do? If need to add in  app for My  travel qr pass , with out  eurail planner  how to do?

The €13 required reservation is on the EC trains on that route, the hourly RE trains do not have reservations, you just need your pass with the train added to it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Like Al_G says if you need a reservation depends from the country and the train type.

EC is Eurocity and will stop less and often be faster (not on the case between Milano and Chiasso) than local trains like

RE Regional Express train. Stops more often, but in your case it takes the same time as the EC.