Solved

Reservation in general

• Keeps calm and carries on
  • 10 replies

Hello together,

we got a few general questions regarding the reservation-booking.

We used the reservation booking tool from interrail but it shows us following message for bookings in denmark:

“No results were found for this connection. Please try again or find an alternative booking method.”.

If I click on the alternative booking method, there’s either a callcenter provided or it says I have to book it at the trainstation. Is any trainstation meant or the trainstation in denmark where we want to take the train from? Is the callcenter also working for every country or only for switzerland, because there’s written that its especially for switzerland. 

Is it also working if we just book/buy the reservations short time before the departure or do we have the risk that there’s no space left?

We are looking forward hearing from you!

Alex & Friends

• We are travelling from germany to norway.
icon

Best answer by seewulf 20 July 2021, 16:00

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Many reservations can be done at Trainstations :) few countries are connected means you could reserve for example from Germany a train Italy or Hungary :)

Currently there is no rail service from Sweden to Norway :/ you have to take a not included Bus :/ 

You should be able to reserve most trains of your route online via
Danish Trains and the Intercity from Hamburg to Denmark

Swedish Rail for reservation on SJ Trains :) and ofcourse bahn.de for trains in Germany :)

Hey Seewulf, thanks for your quick response!

We’re taking a ferry from denmark to norway, so thats not a problem. Although why’s it not possible from Sweden directly to Norway? Also where did you get the information from? So I can check that in future by myself 🙂

I tried the Danish Trains link you provided me, but somehow it doesnt find any train which the interrail planner suggests me… Thats weird haha. Its still 2months ahead, maybe thats the issue?

Thanks for your help so far, have a great day!

Alex

[Update: 15.47,

I searched the train connection on the main page of the DSB and it says:

“Unfortunately, you cannot buy a seat ticket for the selected journey.”.

But we really need that train, does it mean we have to take a bus or need to buy the normal ticket and cant use our interrail pass? Its the train from lindholm to hjoerring and from hjoerring to hirtshals.]

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

We’re taking a ferry from denmark to norway, so thats not a problem. Although why’s it not possible from Sweden directly to Norway? Also where did you get the information from? So I can check that in future by myself :). 

I tried the Danish Trains link you provided me, but somehow it doesnt find any train which the interrail planner suggests me… Thats weird haha. Its still 2months ahead, maybe thats the issue?

2 months ahead shouldn't be a problem. But DSB do not offer reservations for all Europe.

Please post the trains you'd like to make reservations for so people can give advice where to book these.

[Update: 15.47,

But we really need that train, does it mean we have to take a bus or need to buy the normal ticket and cant use our interrail pass? Its the train from lindholm to hjoerring and from hjoerring to hirtshals.]

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

These trains are operated by Nordjyske Jernbaner and reservation is not possible AFAIK. The page for Denmark is not very informative about included operators unfortunately:

https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/trains-europe/trains-country/trains-denmark

But this list says they're included:

https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/trains-europe/railway-companies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The informations about train services between Norway and Sweden is from SJ (Swedish Rail) and Vy (one of the railoperator in Norway) atleast till 31th July there will be no train between these countries. Hopefully from 1st August they return back but till yet no new news :/

The trains you mentioned are not operated by DSB 🙂 The Route is served by a small company called Nordjyske Jernbaner and is usually not reservation compulsory as these services are just regionaltrains (How ever denmark said due the pandemic that all train services need to be reserved 😕 ) Not sure if this still actual 😕 bestway is to ask Nordjyske Jernbaner if you need a reservation or not 🙂 Usually Nordjyske Jernbaner operate in connection of the ferries direct trains without a change in Hjoerring to Hirtshals 🙂  https://nj.dk/

Wow you guys are amazing, such fast and competent help. Thank you so much, will try it out!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

The informations about train services between Norway and Sweden is from SJ (Swedish Rail) and Vy (one of the railoperator in Norway) atleast till 31th July there will be no train between these countries. Hopefully from 1st August they return back but till yet no new news :/

As written in another thread - it seems to be highly unlikely at the moment, that there will be any cross-border trains from Sweden to Norway and vice versa. According to a German railway forum the nighttrain Stockholm-Narvik isn’t transporting any passengers until 8th of November. And also the customer support of Vy said that it will be announced 3 weeks in advance, when trains from Oslo to Göteborg restart → if there is no info yet, they will be to 99% not running in beginning of August… unfortunately. Already cancelled my Scandinavia trip for this year due to that as I don’t want to travel by bus or two times the same route by ferry.

Wow everyone is so good informed, thanks for your information!

Im sorry for you to cancel your skandinavia trip, maybe you can help us check wheter its possible to go the route as we planned:

• Hirtshals ferry -  Bergen
  • Bergen - Oslo
  • Oslo flight - Tromso (Tbf we wanted to go up by train and bus but it takes horribly long and its all unknown wheter we can get the bus connections by time or even a ticket...)
  • Tromso - Joensuu (Partly by bus)
  • Joensuu - Turku
  • Turku ferry - stockholm
  • Stockholm - Kopenhagen
  • Kopenhagen back to germany

I checked it via Interrail planer and it looks like everything’s fine, but would appreciate to hear your opinion!

Alex

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey Alex,

about your route: I wouldn’t skip the flight and better take the route through Norway up - more scenic and also better for the environment ;-) Beside you don’t have to worry about a bus being sold out. When I took a bus in Norway they were never full and you could just buy a ticket while boarding or through an app. Same for ferries.
Why do you want to go to Tromso in summer? I mean it is nice, but there are some (IMO) more nice places where you don’t have to go that far (Lofoten islands for example, or the area around Andalsnes with Geiranger fjord and Trollstygen road). Also how do you want to cross the border from Tromso to Sweden? Didn’t check the route now, but I suppose there is very little passenger transport these days (if there is any) - the train Narvik-Stockholm seems to transport nobody across the border until at least November 2021…
If you are able to cross the border from Norway to Sweden, I don’t see any other problems in your route ;-)

Keep in mind that in Denmark you have to make a seat reservation for (almost?) all trains - see the website of DSB for details.

​​​​​​​Enjoy your trip ;-)

Hi Martin,

thanks for your feedback!

• Good to know about the bus and ferrys, we didnt decide 100% that we’ll take the flight or not yet, we might consider going by bus :)

• Tromso: We wanted to see the northern lights, although we know its not the perfect time to see them, and thought there’s a higher chance the more we go towards the north.. haha. If you’d still recommend us Lofoten islands, we’d consider this the next few days.

• Also as far as I understood, its only not possible to cross the border between NO-SW and SW-NO, but not from NO - FIN, and from FIN - SW. Our route will only cross sweden border from finnland when we take the ferry from turku.

• Also asked the Nordjyske Jernbaner operate, no need for reservation for the last 2 trains towards hirtshals. 

Thanks so far!

Alex

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi Alex,

oh ok, I don’t know about the public transport options between Norway and Finland as I never travelled that route. What kind of transport options did you find for this route (out of curiosity)?
Speaking about Northern Lights… so you are going to travel only later this year? Then some things might change (e.g. trains might run again)

Yes, I meant more about the trains from Malmö to Copenhagen and then from there to Germany - there you need a reservation these days (to Germany always).

Martin

Hi Martin,

in the spoiler above you can see the route we found. 

To be fair we dont plan to stay a lot in finland, its more like a trip through finland because my girlfriend wants to meet her friend there, which is doing her erasmus that time in finland. 

Well, not that much later, but we start around mid september and come back mid october :)

Btw do you have any suggestions regarding carsharing / renting in norway (bergen)?

Thank you so much, hope you have a nice day!

Alex

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi Alex,

interesting, didn’t know about this :) thanks!
On posts I found while googling now it says that the connection runs only in summer months, but they are 8 years old… so maybe now whole year? 

Unfortunately no suggestions for carsharing in Norway - I don’t use cars ;-) Except for hitchhiking - that worked pretty well in Norway, but 90% of the rides were with tourists… so don’t know how it will be in low season.

Have a nice day too,

Martin

Hi, Thank you Martin!

As we are considering Lofoten right now, we wanted to ask for your personal opinion about the bus connection, have you any suggestions?

Thanks!

Alex

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey Alex,

there is an app called “Billett Nordland”. It offers a Travel Pass for 7 days (Travel Pass Nordland) for 990kr. Might sound expensive, but for Norway it is quite a good offer and it seems also to include some ferry routes…
I haven’t used this by myself yet, but my brother is starting a 2-week trip by Interrail to Norway and will use it, so in mid August I might give you some more feedback on this if you remind me ;-)

I wasn’t using buses on Lofoten as I did hitchhiking all the time (5 days).

BTW: The Western and Central part of the Lofoten is IMO much more beautiful than the eastern part close to Narvik… there’s not much to see. So if you are looking for nice landscapes, try to focus on the West ;-) (near Moskenes etc.)

And keep in mind that as said the train Narvik-Kiruna-Stockholm isn’t taking any passengers across the border until now… might change, but what I know so far is that it won’t change until November :/.

Martin

Thats good to know, thank you!:)