Solved

Réservation vers l'Espagne impossible ? Impossible travel to spain

Bonjour,

J’essaye de réserver, en vain, depuis quelque mois un trajet de la France vers l’Espagne (Madrid ou Barcelone peut importe). Et encore maintenant à un mois du départ cela parait impossible, le passage vers l’Espagne ne semble pas possible. Que dois-je faire ? Je commence à désespérer… J’ai lu sur un autre topic qu’en demandant en gare le jour du départ c’était possible, mais j’imagine mal mes vieux parents s’organiser ainsi au dernier moment. A l’aide !

Hello,

I've been trying to book a trip from France to Spain (Madrid or Barcelona, whatever) for a few months now. And even now, with a month to go before departure, it doesn't seem possible to get through to Spain. What should I do? I'm beginning to despair... I read on another topic that asking at the station on the day of departure was possible, but I can't imagine my old parents organising it at the last minute. I need help!

icon

Best answer by Al_G 9 May 2024, 13:40

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The Paris - Barcelona TGVs (2 per day) can be reserved online (www.raileurope.com desktop version only) or at a SNCF station.

The Spanish operated AVE cannot be booked for passholders outside of a Spanish station.

What journey, dates and itinerary are you looking for?

Thank you for your answer !

The problem is that with raileurope it doesn’t work with passholders right ?

The Spanish operated AVE cannot be booked for passholders outside of a Spanish station” it means that if the trains leave from Lyon Part-Dieu to Barcelona it cannot be booked since it is in France ?

If I understand correctly the Interrail pass seems impossible to use to go to Spain…

I was looking for a train on the 10th of June from Paris or Lyon to Barcelona or Madrid (1For example  4:35 LYON PART DIEU (France) AVI 9742 )

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes Rail Europe works for passholders, desktop version only.

The issue here is that RENFE hates passholders and doesn't want to sell online reservations for this particular train. Your only option is on the day on the platform by speaking to staff. Availability is rarely an issue but it's a risk, especially if you wish to sit together.

Not possible at French stations either since SNCF decided to end the cooperation…

Spain is indeed the worst country for Interrail (France is second).

I see 2 options:

- TGV Paris Gare de Lyon - Barcelona-Sants 35€ (available through Rail Europe)

- AVE Barcelona - Madrid 10€ (available through interrail.eu)

Also possible to switch to regional trains via Portbou to save money.

Or option 2 if you wish to get to Madrid:

- TGV Paris-Montparnasse - Hendaye 07:04 - 11:47 20€*

- Euskotren Hendaye - San Sebastian 12:03 - 12:40 or every 30 min -> tickets 3-4€

- 15 min walk (different stations) and deserved break :)

- ALVIA San Sebastian - Madrid-Chamartin 16:52 - 22:13 around 8€ (available online)

*French passholders get free TGV reservations by going to SNCF ticket counters and asking for billets parcours d'approche. Not all staff are aware though and it's not an official policy apparently!

Feel free to ask anything.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thank you for your answer !

The problem is that with raileurope it doesn’t work with passholders right ?

The Spanish operated AVE cannot be booked for passholders outside of a Spanish station” it means that if the trains leave from Lyon Part-Dieu to Barcelona it cannot be booked since it is in France ?

If I understand correctly the Interrail pass seems impossible to use to go to Spain…

I was looking for a train on the 10th of June from Paris or Lyon to Barcelona or Madrid (1For example  4:35 LYON PART DIEU (France) AVI 9742 )

Yes, raileurope.com works for passholders, we wouldn’t direct peope to it if it didn’t. You must use their desktop site, the mobile site does not have the ability to add passes.

You can also use b-europe at https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish this site adds a booking fee onto the reservation price.

Both Paris - Barcelona TGV at 09.42 and 14.42 have availability in 1st and 2nd class for that day at €35 per seat, select your correct class that your passes are. You can book these from Paris or several stations in south of France, Valence TGV, Nimes, Montpelier, Perpignan.

For Barcelona - Madrid book a Spanish train through the eurail/interrail reservation portal.

Thank you @thibcabe and @Al_G for your answers.

I can indeed make reservation with raileurope or b-europe !!The problem was that it is impossible with the interrail reservation tool !