Solved

Reservations Amsterdam-Paris, Paris-Barcelona and Barcelona-Valencia, book in advance

I (18 years old) want to go to Valencia with my mother, she said that the plane was easier but I want to travel with high-speed rail for many reasons (relaxed, better seats, no airport hussle, great views when traveling, less carbon emmissions, etc). Since the normal tickets are €800 for Amsterdam-Barcelona and Barcelona-Amsterdam I think interrail for 4 days is the best option.

The planned dates are:

june 23 Amsterdam-Paris and Paris-Barcelona

june 24 Barcelona-Valencia

june 27 Valencia-Barcelona

june 28 Barcelona-Paris and Paris-Amsterdam

Now for the reservations, Im a bit confused.

I think I can make reservations for Amsterdam-Paris and Paris-Barcelona (and return) with the reservation tool from Interrail but it also says somewhere that you need to do it up to 90 days in advance, its only 50 days until our trip. So can I still make reservations? And are they digital or paper? 

Now for Barcelona-Valencia (and return) it seems that you can only get reservations at a trainstation in Spain. So if I understand correctly I would need to call RENFE 72 hours or less before arriving in Barcelona to make a pre-reservation so I can make the 'real’ reservation at the station when I arrive in Barcelona. 

Are there enough seats left in a train if we only make a reservation 2 days before taking the Spanish high-speed train?

Is there another way to make reservations for the Barcelona-Valencia (and return) trains so we know for sure that we have a seat in those trains? My mother gets a lot of stress when things get changed last minute. I think I someone managed it calling Deutsche Bahn but I dont know if that still works.

I hope everyone can understand my travel plans and questions, Im new to all of this but Im ready to take on the challenge.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 4 May 2022, 02:35

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There is no obligation to book 90 days in advance. You can book less far in advance as long as there are seats available. Maybe you saw that your reservations could be done up to 90 days in advance.

Now, as to booking your reservations:

• Amsterdam - Paris can indeed be booked via Interrail (30+2€ booking fee per person and train) (and via a number of other channels).
  • Paris - Barcelona can also be booked via Interrail (34+2€ booking fee) but since Interrail can only issue this reservation on paper, there is an extra postage fee of 9€ per order. You can also book by phone via SNCF (press #85 for English) and they will send the reservation via e-mail. No booking fee.
  • Barcelona - Valencia cannot be booked online. Apart from RENFE, DB can also book this at a German ticket office or by phone (+49 30 2970). No booking fee, postage fee €5.90 per order. The reservation itself is between 4 and 10€, depending on the train.

You can also book all of these reservations via DB (ticket office or phone), or via a DB travel agent, such as this one (you can mail them).

Do take into account that RENFE (Spanish railways) have not yet published their complete summer timetable. I see large gaps e.g. on 24 June between Barcelona and Valencia compared to this week. You may want to wait with booking Barcelona - Valencia until more trains have been opened for booking.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Je kan-maar niet hi-season, vliegen voor minder als 1 toeslag met HV=Transavia of Vueling. ALS je althans die 4 uur wachten op S´hol kan verdragen.

Just like so many- this is about the hardest to get way and also costly-only by hi-speed trains that all cost a lot extra above the cost of the pass and also hard to arrange. ESpana followed by FRance (and ITaly) are the countries anyone seems to want to go to and are the hardest to get these extraś for. Yes, you need a lot of effort to follow these green scouts.