Solved

Reservations how to make.

• 8 March 2023
  • 3 replies

Using the rail planner app, I can load up all my choices of train times, But there is a message that says “No Seat Reservations Required”.  Since there is no button on the page for purchasing seats (1st class) it only lets me save it in “My Trips”.    I’m confused about how I make reservations, even when not required, and how do I get whatever tickets I need to board (besides my Eurail pass)?   I am very confused.  And old.   And maybe not bright.  

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 8 March 2023, 23:04

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Your pass is your ticket - no other tickets needed.

Reservations are a completely separate universe. They can't be booked in the app, they won't appear in the app. They app does give some information about reservations (prices, whether they're recommended or mandatory), which may or may not be correct. The app is mainly to register your journeys in. It is NOT for planning (despite its name) because it is not reliable and often out of date. It's much better to use national planners or apps, and for international planning, the Deutsche Bahn planner or the DB Navigator app is a goof choice.

For most trains you can't book reservations, for others they're optional and for some (often the fastest ones), they're mandatory.

An overview of ways to book reservations is here:

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Another overview is here:

If you still have questions about reservations, then please mention route, date and departure time of the train(s) you'd like to book.

Thank you!  is there a national planner that would specialize in trains in Switzerland and Austria?   I have read the Seat 61 column in detail, but was still confused.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Switzerland: SBB or SBB Mobile app

Austria: ÖBB or ÖBB Scotty app

They're both also quite good for international journeys.