Solved

Reservations on Eurostar- how many limited seats for Interrail?

• 22 June 2022
  • 9 replies

I now realise that Eurostar only give a certain number of reservations to Eurail users on their services.  Anyone any idea how many per train, or does it depend on the route/date/time of service?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 22 June 2022, 11:25

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can check the availability of passholder seats on the Eurostar here:

https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#Outbound

On popular departures the passholder seats sell out several week, and sometimes months, in advance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As far as I know, the pass holder seats on Eurostar are assigned to a certain fare level, also called bucket. That means there is not a fixed amount available but if all fares of the same level (and lower) are sold out, then there aren't any available pass holder seats anymore either.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As far as I know, the pass holder seats on Eurostar are assigned to a certain fare level, also called bucket. That means there is not a fixed amount available but if all fares of the same level (and lower) are sold out, then there aren't any available pass holder seats anymore either.

If there are normal ticket available for 144 EUR or less (2nd class London-Paris), then there are pass holder seats available. If there only are normal tickets for 178 EUR or 224 EUR, then there are no pass holder seats available. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

That is how I understand it works too. AFAIK only the top 2 fare levels are blocked for Interrail pass bookings.

What is not known is how many seats are allocated to each fare level (bucket) and my understanding is that this is also dynamic, busier trains will have less cheap seats to begin with so also less chance for passholders to reserve before the lower fares are gone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

What is not known is how many seats are allocated to each fare level (bucket) and my understanding is that this is also dynamic, busier trains will have less cheap seats to begin with so also less chance for passholders to reserve before the lower fares are gone.

Also, my observations until now are that pass holder seats are much more difficult to find on the services to/from Amsterdam. But I don't know yet whether that is because they're assigned to a different bucket or whether the seats to/from Amsterdam sell out faster.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I guess only part of this train is set aside for those daring to venture into NL? Or perhaps the mayoress of AMS has succeeded in her grachtengordel-instigated campaign to limit the high nr of tourists to AMS.

Its also more expensive-34 instead of 30 to BRU

For passholders with a tiny bit of knowledge hardly a problem-just use the hourly yellow/blue BeNeLux onward-in hi-summer thats full of seemingly young passholders anyway-plus the chance to admire Antwerpens (handwerpen) railway cathedral-if one only knew……..

My concerns were on a return to the UK trip that will be happening sometime late September. We're only at the planning stage atm

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

My concerns were on a return to the UK trip that will be happening sometime late September. We're only at the planning stage atm

The end of September is after the summer holliday season so as long as you make your reservations a few weeks in advance you should be fine. Make your reservation as soon as you have a date fixed for your return to the UK.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can keep an eye on the price for normal tickets for the Eurostar at

https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Tickets?autoactivatestep2=false&origin=GBSPX&dest=FRPNO&traveltype=TwoWay&compactQsm=true#TravelWish

As long as the price is 144 EUR or lower there are pass holder seats left. The price starts at around 40 EUR.

I just checked the prices for the morning of the 28th of September from Paris to London, see below, and the prices aren't that high yet.