Solved

Reservations tips

• 20 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello everyone! I'm new to the community and I just organized and booked my first Interrail trip, spanning between six countries, departing from Italy to the most important cities in central Europe (Vienna, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris and Turin).

I'm here to ask a question about reservations: is there a way to get on reservation-only trains without paying it? (I don't know, like standing instead of taking a seat :D) e.g. going to Paris from Amsterdam without paying 30+ euros and without changing 2/3 trains.

Hope I can find a way, but if the reservation is the best option then it won't be a problem.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 20 June 2023, 13:49

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

No, that would negate the point of mandatory reservations if that would be possible. You won’t get on without valid ticket + reservation. And even if you do and they find you, you’ll be fined big time.

It’s quite easy to minimise reservation cost on those connections, with some little tricks.

Mention exact trains, dates and times if you want to get good advice of this community.

Thanks, I will make a list because some companies haven't updated with summer hours so that's the only problem, and I'll ask later.

Have a good one!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks, I will make a list because some companies haven't updated with summer hours so that's the only problem, and I'll ask later.

Summer timetables should be available now on e.g. bahn.com. They went into force on 11 June. If you're using the rail planner app or the Interrail website to plan, then please don't because they're unreliable because they're not updated very frequently.

Summer timetables should be available now on e.g. bahn.com. They went into force on 11 June. If you're using the rail planner app or the Interrail website to plan, then please don't because they're unreliable because they're not updated very frequently.

Yess, won't use them and check on the train companies' websites. Thanks for the reply, it's Trenitalia that hasn't updated the timetables (obviously, ahah) so I'll have to check in a second moment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yess, won't use them and check on the train companies' websites. Thanks for the reply, it's Trenitalia that hasn't updated the timetables (obviously, ahah) so I'll have to check in a second moment.

Trenitalia is always notoriously late… best to check on trenitalia.com.