Solved

Reserving 2-bed couchette Bucharest Istanbul Train via CFR

• 27 July 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi. Looking to buy a ticket from Bucharest to Istanbul via the Romanian State Railways website. I know that this is more expensive than necessary given that I am buying both the ticket and the reservation, but I want everything to be booked before starting our journey as I am travelling with my fret-happy father.

However, online it seems like one can only book a place in a  4-bed couchette, despite the fact that I know other options should be available (3-bed, 2-bed, etc.). Is there any way to book a place in a 2-bed couchette online? If not, and I have booked the 4-bed couchette in advance, is there a way it could be upgraded at Bucharest train station if there was availability, provided I paid the difference?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by cdwatkins19 27 July 2022, 18:57

View original

2 replies

Badge +5

This train only has couchettes from Bucuresti. It is only the section from Sofia that has the sleeping car and the two trains combine  at Dimitrovgrad at around 22:16. You may be lucky and get the whole compartment to yourself but I wouldn’t bank on it. Please note that couchettes and sleepers are two very different products. Try looking at the website the man in seat 61 for photos and more details.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Couch.. is basically 6 bunks-and sometimes the more ´luxury´ only 4 are used. Mixed sex.

Its partly due to the inability of the /en/ lingo that seemingly all Brits are utterly confused by the word sleeper. A very recent report in an other forum for IR told that a few days ago this whole car from Buc was indeed full and some standing-and trying to bribe conductor for space unsold. This is very unusual and in fact I have never read that before.

From Buc it is NOT a train as such, but 1 car-yes, couch. shunted to train 2 to 3. Same train also has cars for Sofia and makes a big detour due to a line disruption years ago.