Solved

Reserving NOTTE train in Italy - Donna couchette

• 31 December 2023
  • 6 replies

I see that the Eurail site allows a couchette on the train from Rome to Siracusa to be booked - but it only offers either a seat or Promiscuo. I would like to get a CC-DONNA place though - why doesn’t the Eurail site offer this?

is there any site that does? I tried raileurope.com but couldn’t find any reservation-only price, only for full ticket, even though I entered Interrail pass.

(Getting ready for fitst ever interrailing - exciting!)

TIA

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 1 January 2024, 13:51

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Raileurope offers reservation only. You have to add your pass as a discount.

What's your travel date and departure time?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Sometimes (often!) a regular advance ticket is cheaper than the Interrail reservation on Italian night trains. This might be the case here.

Many thanks, rvdborgt and thibcabe, 

Actually my trip isn’t until April but I am trying many dates in January and Feb to test the raileurope system and I always get a message of “Rail Pass doesn’t apply for this trip” and a price of £108 for 1-bed sleeper, for the Rome to Siracusa 11pm trip. I’ve tried a dozen dates Jan-March, always same response, it couldn’t really be sold out could it? Eurail site allows booking for several dates on couchette.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

According to https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm#Italy an Interrail reservation for a single sleeper costs 122€ (106£) while I see regular advance tickets at 74€ (Vagone Letto Deluxe Uso Singolo - Cabina Intera). This is a common occurrence on Italian night trains.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I just get €122 for a single. If you indicate a 2nd class pass, then Raileurope claims the pass isn't valid. I'm not sure if that's correct. The single category used to be 1st class only, but most railway companies now don't distinguish anymore between 1st and 2nd class for sleepers.

The pass is definitely valid, but for a single, the Supereconomy and Economy fares are cheaper than the pass reservation alone.

There are also couchettes on that train and although you can book a single couchette in a 4-person compartment (price is €41), Raileurope don't offer that. No idea why. Italiarail however do seem to be able to book couchettes online:

https://partners.italiarail.com/default?force_pass=true&aff=EURAIL

Ah, that Italiarail link is great, thanks rvdborgt. It is also showing prices for Cabins for slightly more, but I assume that is per person and not the whole cabin single occupancy? And they don’t seem to show women-only (Donna) couchettes. OBB gives this option for the reservations they offer.

Yes very strange that Raileurope isn’t showing passholder prices even when I select I have a pass.

It’s all been a lot of fun learning all this, with your help and of course the fantastic man on seat 61.