Solved

Reserving specific seat in France and Italy.

• 14 January 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

In the past I have had the pleasure of traveling with Interrail on a number of occasions.  Me and my fellow travelers love to look out the window.  That used to be obvious, but nowadays there are unfortunately a lot of seats without a view, between the windows, etc. These are window seats without a window.  That to me is not really “travel”, that is waiting for you to arrive.  Then I prefer to travel with my own car.  A few years ago you could e.g.  in Italy very handy in the app.  reserve a specific seat.  Not possible anymore. Also this is not possible at the vending machine in France.  My question to the community is: Is it possible to reserve a specific seat via italiarail.com and/interrail.eu?  The same question when booking TGVs in France via Belgian Railway/interrail.eu?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 14 January 2022, 23:17

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

On trenitalia.com, you can choose your seat but Trenitalia does not sell Interrail reservations online anymore. Please complain to them. Same story for SNCF.

Belgian railways have a website to book Interrail reservations for French domestic trains but it doesn't allow seat specific booking. I think you can request a specific seat if you call them.

interrail.eu doesn't have seat specific booking.

italiarail does seem to have seat specific booking but I did a few tests and only saw the message "Seat selection is currently unavailable for this fare and seating will be automatically assigned.”

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thank you very much, rvdborgt! You have so much up-to-date information!

i complained already to SNCF. I got a trackingnumber but no answer!

I complained in the beginning of covid the same question also to italiarail. They answered me that it was impossible with the restrictions, but didn’t answer that it was possible in the past. However, your information that it was possible once: perhaps it wil possible again postcovid19!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I complained in the beginning of covid the same question also to italiarail. They answered me that it was impossible with the restrictions, but didn’t answer that it was possible in the past. However, your information that it was possible once: perhaps it wil possible again postcovid19!!

Do note that Trenitalia (the train operator, removed Interrail reservations from their website) and Italiarail (rail travel agent, still have Interrail reservations but with an extra charge) are different companies.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

After removing interrail reservations from their website I complained about it to trenitalia. Like SNCF: no answer!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

After removing interrail reservations from their website I complained about it to trenitalia. Like SNCF: no answer!

They're required by EU Regulation 1371/2007 to give a reaction within 1 month, which can be a final answer or a notice that it's going to take a bit longer. The final reaction must then come within 3 months after the complaint.

The idea for such complaints though is not to get a sensible answer but to generate enough complaints so that they (hopefully) realise there's a problem. Big companies often have the logic: no complaints = no problem.