Solved

Reserving together: Cover Numbers not recognised

G'day, we're an international couple, one with a paper interrail pass, one with a paper eurail pass.  We want to reserve seats together.  If I try to add a traveller to a "my trip” on either account, I get the error, that the cover number "doesn't look right” even though we have the paper passes in hand and can plainly see the cover numbers.   We tried the function "get cover number” which returns yet a different cover number, but that doesn't work either.    In the absence of human customer service, does anyone know how two people travelling together can possibly make a reservation together?   Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Al_G 30 July 2022, 07:01

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Are you talking about using the app or Interrail website?

There are places other than Interrail to get reservations, please read this thread.

If you say where and when then you may get more practical advice.

> Are you talking about using the app or Interrail website?

Both websites, not the phone app.  https://www.eurail.com/en/book-reservations#/ and https://www.interrail.eu/en/book-reservations#/ … on either website, adding the other traveller gives the error that the cover number "doesn't look right”.  

Thank you for the "other site” recommendations.   The site in Scotland where one gets reservations, has a railpass dropdown that does not include Eurail or Interrail… so I am at a loss how to use those sites.

Surely one can reserve seats together in advance, online, without having to do this at the station in person (hours of queueing in Amsterdam, I observe) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Again, if you say where and when then maybe I or others here can give better advice.

Scotland: reservations in all of UK are non-compulsory or not available apart from night trains.

If it is caledonian sleeper then you don’t have to specifically book “Interrail” reservations, the room supplements are the same for all valid tickets. It is also best advised to check the regular prices as the all inclusive tickets can sometimes be cheaper than the supplements for sleeper cabins.

The same goes for the rest of UK, reservations where available, are free for all ticket holders, the link above detailing how to use the GWR website should be followed.

At present I believe no Scotrail services are offering seat reservations, they haven’t since Covid.

Thanks for the reply with so much detail. It's going right into my notes !   So I haven't gotten that far yet. Although our intention is to go to the UK and then back to the Continent; e.g. Amsterdam-London-Inverness in September, then back to the Continent, my question has to do with a website error.   I haven't tried to make any reservations yet: first step is to add a second traveller.  And when I tried, I was told that a valid cover number is not valid: https://gyazo.com/938b2e747f80913032013c1ad3c5cfa8 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I assume that in order to work on the interrail website that issued pass numbers have to be entered into the system after they are sold.

If your cover number does not work there than it is most likely an issue at their end.

You should contact customer services to get this resolved.

https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new

Thanks, done.   And I learned some useful real-world things about reservations… much appreciate.  A start, to be sure.  The process feels byzantine.

Quick update, Customer Support got back to me… weeks later, with a boilerplate email, FAQ which told me the same thing that the documentation said, but ignored the bug I encountered.  Looks like nobody's minding the store.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Quick update, Customer Support got back to me… weeks later, with a boilerplate email, FAQ which told me the same thing that the documentation said, but ignored the bug I encountered.

Write that to them. Apparently, your request is now at the top of their queue so they may now come back quicker.