Solved

Rome - Strasbourg August 2023 not available

• 7 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling this summer.

We need to travel from Rome to Strasbourg on the Saturday12th August.

I realise it’s a very long journey but when I had searched previously the route seemed more straightforward than it is showing now.

I am assuming it is due to engineering works but don’t know the easiest way to find out. 

We have an AirBnB booked in Strasbourg so ideally need to arrive at a reasonable hour. 

I also don’t know what time the Metro starts in Rome in terms of getting to the main station or maybe we can just get a taxi.

Any advice very welcome please!

icon

Best answer by Angelo 7 May 2023, 13:06

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Trenitalia haven't released timetables yet for that date. You'll get an idea by searching for 1 week earlier.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi the timetable after 10 June is in Italy not complete yet. So there are at the moment for the 12 aug no high speed trains on the route Rome-Milan released, only slow one. You have to wait and check regulary the website of Trenitalia trenitalia.com for new release.

For example the timetable for saturday next week between Rome and Milan:

Normaly there should be at 5am or 6am the first trains to Milan at least every hour a high speed trains or more, if there are no works on the line (reservation compulsory 10 EUR/seat).

From Milan best way is to catch a direct train EC to Basel SBB so you don't have to change in other places. (For EC reservations cost 11 EUR/seat in Italy, trains in Switzerland are only optional to reserve, I would not reserve).

For example you can catch at 11:20, there is also one at 10:10 from Milan

You can also avoid the reservatipn using RE trains to Lugano and from there IC trains to Basel SBB. 

From Basel SBB there are TER local trains to Strasbourg about every hour (reservation not possible/needed).

Thank you so much for the information