Solved

San Sebastian/Donastia to Madrid

• 12 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello!

I am a first time Eurail user and finding it a bit confusing to understand. 

My partner and I have Eurail global passes. We are needing to travel from San Sebastian/Donastia to Madrid on 4 June 2023. I am still confused about what trains are included in the pass.

Eurail says it includes Alvia trains. I understand that Eurail does not have the most accurate schedules on the website/app. 

Rail Europe shows a train on this day departing San Sebastián/Donostia at 8:50am and arriving to Madrid-Chamartin at 1:56pm. This train does not show on the Eurail planning app or website. 

Can someone please confirm:

1. Will we be able to take this train using our Eurail pass?
  1. Is it correct that we cannot make our seat reservation until we are in Spain and do so in person at the ticket desk? 

Thank you in advance!

icon

Best answer by Al_G 12 April 2023, 05:14

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yes, most trains in Spain, including all long distance RENFE trains are valid with pass but as you have read there are no options for booking online, you will have to do it in person at a ticket office.

It is possible to pre-book at most 72 hours in advance by phone from RENFE and collect these from a ticket office.

https://www.renfe.com/es/en

If you are in Germany before Spain it is possible to book from DB also, details of the few alternatives for Spanish reservations are here

One of the excluded operators in Spain is Euskotren which run the commuter/regional trains around San Sebastian, fares for these are quite cheap however.

Thank you so much that’s very helpful we will simply have to book the train in person once we arrive in Spain!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you so much that’s very helpful we will simply have to book the train in person once we arrive in Spain!

You could book all your reservations at the first ticket office you get to.