Solved

Santa Claus Express

Hello,

I'm a bit stuck. We are flying into Helsinki on the 7th December and we want to catch the Santa Claus express that evening to Rovaniemi. The prices are Eur 49 p.p for a deluxe double sleeper cabin. havent been able to reserve online so I called the Eurarail help line. They can book me in but I'm confused as the prices are Eur 180pp now.

Does this sound correct, as it's now cheaper to fly then take the train. 

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 4 November 2022, 13:27

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi, where did you call? Eurail/Interrail has no Call Center

Apologies, its the number listed on the Santa Claus Express page. I see its now VR

How to make reservations on the Santa Claus Express

You can reserve your seat or sleeping accommodation on the Santa Claus Express trains in the following ways:

• Through our reservation service

• By calling the Finnish Railways (VR) customer care (+358 9 2319 2902)

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

To make reservations in Finland, you need to do it in the station ticket offices or you have to Call VR (Finnish railways) on +35 89 2319 2902 (Opening hours: 7:00-22.00; local time GMT+2) English speaking staff available.

Didn’t travel in Finland before, so I don’t really know what the (Interrail) prices for the sleeper are.

Apologies, I called the number on the website which I see is VR. 

Just concerned as its not the price mentioned and wondered if anyone would know anything about this? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

49 as supplmt for a LUXE sleeper seems absurdly low to me-FI is as you likely know not a low-price country, I guess that is the price for a normal sleeperbed (3 in a cabin, shared with same sex others).

You state WE so I assume its a couple-in that case 180 for a whole cabin (and I guess but am not sure about this-its simply a normal cabin exclusive for the 2 of you) is very much comparable with what NJ or others charge.

seat61.com is likely best site to check-very much in favour of train travel and for those who seek sleepers

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

49 as supplmt for a LUXE sleeper seems absurdly low to me-FI is as you likely know not a low-price country, I guess that is the price for a normal sleeperbed

Instead of guessing, you'd better look at the information available:

https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/reservations/reservation-fees/night-train-reservation-fees

49 as supplmt for a LUXE sleeper seems absurdly low to me-FI is as you likely know not a low-price country, I guess that is the price for a normal sleeperbed (3 in a cabin, shared with same sex others).

You state WE so I assume its a couple-in that case 180 for a whole cabin (and I guess but am not sure about this-its simply a normal cabin exclusive for the 2 of you) is very much comparable with what NJ or others charge.

seat61.com is likely best site to check-very much in favour of train travel and for those who seek sleepers

I did think it was surprisingly cheap but it literally gives the price on the website for the train - https://www.eurail.com/en/get-inspired/trains-europe/night-trains/santa-claus-express

Reservation fees:

• Seat: €10
  • Double sleeper: €40 p.p.
  • Single sleeper: €100
  • Deluxe double sleeper with private bathroom: €49 p.p.
  • Deluxe single sleeper with private bathroom: €118 p.p.

So I just wondered if anyone had an experience with this

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Just concerned as its not the price mentioned and wondered if anyone would know anything about this? 

Did you make it clear that you need a reservation for Interrail, not a normal ticket?

I've looked at 7 December Helsinki - Rovaniemi. There are 2 night trains: 19:29 and 23:13. A 2-person compartment with shower is available for €179 in the first one, for €199 in the second one. These are normal prices (advance fares) for 2 persons without a pass. An Interrail reservation should indeed be around €49 per person.

Did you make it clear that you need a reservation for Interrail, not a normal ticket?

I've looked at 7 December Helsinki - Rovaniemi. There are 2 night trains: 19:29 and 23:13. A 2-person compartment with shower is available for €179 in the first one, for €199 in the second one. These are normal prices (advance fares) for 2 persons without a pass. An Interrail reservation should indeed be around €49 per person.

So if I'm understanding correctly, the reservation is Eur49 but the actual price of the ticket is Eur179? So technically either way it would be Eur179?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Your pass is the ticket (if you have any), the reservation 49 EUR per person.

If you don’t have a pass. It’s full fare 179 EUR;

Hello, how did you reserve a sleeper using eurail pass? topic is solved so i guess you managed to do it. 

Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As was also told above-and is also well known by now- by CALLing-you know, on your fone, to the VR client centre-hours of that are probably in their site-just google. AND be aware of the likely time change with your place for that