Solved

Seat Availability Unknown in Switzerland

• 11 November 2021
  • 3 replies

I am trying to book Basel SBB to Interlaken OST on 17 DEC 2021. The alert displayed shows Seat Availability Unknown. I went directly to the SBB ticket shop site and am unable to book there as it will not accept the credit card. Please note: have already contacted the card company and they show they have not blocked the transaction and have verified that I am using the right card. I cannot seem to get an answer why the card cannot be accepted from SBB. There seems to be availability on the SBB site. Should I take my chances and ignore the alert and book through Eurail? 

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 11 November 2021, 21:00

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can book a seat reservation via ÖBB for 3 EUR per seat if you really want to but in fact it's unnecessary. Just board the train and find a seat.

@rvdborgt I think my clients will be more comfortable if they have seat reservations. They already have a Eurail Global Pass. So are you saying that if they just board the train and find a seat that they will not have to pay anything? Sorry for all the questions. I am not familiar with the rail system in Europe and trying to muddle through all of this…

I did go onto OBB and see that the option to choose 1st class says only if they already have a ticket. Does the Global Pass satisfy this requirement?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

"The rail system in Europe” is different in every country. In Switzerland, reservations are unnecessary. In fact, hardly anyone there books a seat and trains are used like an underground or suburban train system: you just turn up and go. But you can still book seats if you really want.

A global 1st class pass satisfies the requirement to have a ticket.